Star Forge
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1298]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

RP Guilds: Introductory RP

5 replies
Donor
Empire
A lot of the RP guilds I've either been a member of, officer or GM of, or RPed with, have had some form of introductory RP system for new members. Many times this is just a simple, single, sit-down with the guild GM or an officer. These sessions are an opportunity for guild leaders to begin integrating the new member into guild RP, introducing the new player to guild rules, lore, activities, etc., and an opportunity for the new member to introduce their character formally and in-character to guild leadership. I'm aware that some SF RP guilds, like the <Paragons Covenant>, have actual policies outlining how such RP should be conducted.

I'm curious to hear the community's thoughts on RP guild introductory RP. The guild I currently GM, <Imperial Ministry of War>, does not employ any such system of introductory RP.

Do you think an introductory RP system is an essential part of RP guild management?

How long should the introductory period be?

Who should be responsible for leading introductory RP?

Should introductory RP sessions be mandatory, or optional?

What other thoughts do you have on the subject?
Posted Aug 7, 18 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Well, it's certainly helpful when the officers of an RP guild can help new members acclimate to their new setting. I'm sure many guilds do it, whether they mean to or not.

Volition never had a clear policy on this subject, but the several roleplay sessions that led to guild membership often acted as "Introductory RP". I feel that it depends entirely on the direction and style of the guild in question whether they implement this sort of policy or not, as sometimes a "sink or swim" approach can be helpful for getting used to how a guild functions in roleplay.

If a guild feels that members need to be more self-sufficient in their roleplay goals, they may not implement a policy like this. That sort of approach sets the stage for a member to be more proactive about finding rp, whether in the open or with other guild members. Other guilds, like Paragon's Covenant (which you linked to), are very large and have a very broad spectrum of activities to be a part of (many different branches, many people around at any given time, etc), and so this sort of introductory period is almost (or entirely) mandatory to have. Given that a big guild like that attracts all types and skill levels of roleplayers, it's best that their members that are newer to roleplay have a primer course.

Just my twopence worth.
TBhRGHa.png
Posted Aug 7, 18 · Last edited Aug 7, 18
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Neutral
Empire
I think insofar as roleplay guilds go, introductory RP is a must. I find it serves two-fold, even to those guilds who have an in-depth Enjin application requirement. One of the things that the Imperial Centralization Bureau does, for example, is get a general feel for your character (and potentially help flesh your story out, should you need it) through their Enjin application. The issue becomes the controlled environment in which an application is done. In an RP setting, you need to respond quickly, which opens a realm of potential errors that might not have been caught in the application.

A face-to-face introduction RP serves as a real quick 'is this person going to damage the immersion to my other members', which is helpful to botht he leadership and the ongoing environment that has been created. As far as the member joining, it allows them to be properly placed (leading to, hopefully, more engaging RP for them), getting to know their 'chain of command' (if you have a problem, you can always come to me or your Director, etc, etc), and deciding if the guild is actually right for them (this guy just told me my GM calls himself the Emperor... maybe this won't work for me).

TL;DR, I find its a great way for both the current members/leadership to get to find and know quality people and the new member to get to know whether or not the guild is a good fit, while hurrying them towards the best RP for their character.
Posted Sep 2, 18
Neutral
To be short and simple, introductory RP is most definitely a must. I can't recall how many guilds I was invited to and then had no idea what I was even doing because I was never introduced ICly or shown my IC role etc, all of which I ended up leaving in the end.

How long it should take is more case by case, it should be looked at as RP not a chore. Bring the characters into the fold, show them their new home, inform them of their purpose and help them settle in and feel welcomed and it'll naturally make it much easier to roleplay than sitting there oocly trying to figure out what in the hell they're supposed to be doing.

An introductory rp should definitely be mandatory too, atleast IMO - but there are some people out there that don't need it and can just jump right in after oocly being told what to do and making up an ic story for it or something. As I said, case by case, really. Not everyone cares for it.

especially needed for non sith or imperial characters in sith/imperial-heavy guilds totally not biasedespecially needed for non sith or imperial characters in sith/imperial-heavy guilds totally not biased
Posted Sep 3, 18
Neutral
If you look at it like this, ICly your guild is the character's job, whether you are a crummy pirate gang, or a formal military power, or even a corperation RP group/guild, there's one thing all of these things would have in common IRL: You wouldn't have someone apply and then just send them an email that they are starting tomorrow, no introduction, no interview, and most importantly, no orientation. Introduction RP is vital in that it brings your new member into the fold, lets them ICly recieve their proper documents, equipment, what have you.

That said, this is entirely an opinion and how I see things. If your guild is different and it works, then the decision to change that should be handled at whatever pace you feel comfortable doing so, if you even choose to.

Hope that helps in some way!
Now I'm nailed above you
Gushing from my side
It's with your sins that you've killed me
Thinking of your sins I die
Posted Sep 4, 18
Empire
Careful who u call CRUMMY, Jax. Also, IC introduction to any RP group is key, and just generally helps break the ice.
44f2a7c724a04e4d.png
Posted Sep 4, 18
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
NoticeNotices