Mar 10 '19
08:00 PM
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1359]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 2

[KOTET Spoilers] The Future of The Old Republic

12 replies
Donor
Neutral
That was a wild ride, right?

Vitiate - the big baddie since Knights of the Old Republic is finally, 'supposedly' dead. We have lost our Sargeras. Where does TOR go from here?

Part of me doesn't fully believe Vitiate is gone. The Emperor's Hand and Vitiate's original body issue was never resolved. I wouldn't put it past Bioware to bring him back in the future (If there is a future) in some capacity. Not only that, but I take issue with how he was 'defeated' in the final KOTET Chapter. I'm not sure if it plays out differently based on your decision with the datacron on Nathema, but in my playthrough he destroyed the datacron regardless. Then, we realize since he's inside our mind we can overpower him, since we control what goes on in our head.

Either way, in the end we form the Eternal Alliance and control the Eternal Fleet. Where should the story go from here? Part of me feels like Bioware is intentionally winding everything down in preparation for closure.

If they do continue on trying to progress the story though, I see a few possibilities:

1) Scorpio and Iokath going genocidal on the rest of the Galaxy. Yes, we get the option to cut her down on Iokath, but that was after she touched the console in the command center. Bioware could easily use that as a loophole to explain her survival. Mark my words.

2) They could pull ideas from the original direction of TOR - before it went f2p, and have the villain be Naga Sadow and introduce more areas on Yavin to start out.

3) "Hey guys remember how when you killed Revan in Foundry and he exploded and split into two people? Say hello to Vitiate One and Vitiate Two."

4) As much as I'd love to see a return to Republic vs Empire/Sith vs Jedi, I don't think Bioware has the funds to create two unique narratives and not a singular storyline all classes follow.

5) There's also that thing Gault mentions in mail to you after KOTET, about the Emperor's Vaults. Who knows what kind of monsters or ancient evils are in those. Hell, maybe Darth Jadus is in one.

6) Star Cabal/New secret organization. The datafiles you find in the Uprisings point to some secretive organization trying to manipulate things again, but we don't know much at all about them.

7) Some people mentioned the Mandalorian Clans could unite under a different Mandalore and spark another galactic crusade, but I don't think that'll happen.

8) Yuuzhen
Vong.

Of course, I also wish we could go back to our respective factions. I don't want the throne, or to be an Emperor. I'd be fine with becoming the Empress' Wrath, or becoming part of the Council again.
Posted Dec 4, 16 · OP · Last edited Dec 4, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
I'm assuming spoilers are fine given the subject matter, so: spoilers, everywhere

9) vaylin does a valkorion thing and is the new "just fucking die already" monstrosity
I wish

10) lord hater is new antagonist

For serious: I don't think they'll reuse Valkorion, he's been rehashed enough and they made enough of a thing about Killing Him Off For Real No Really that I don't think they'll use him again. Kind of leaves the dragonballZ problem in that there isn't anything more dramatic to tackle now/that any kind of powerup in antagonist would start to look goofy though. 5 could do something, codex mentioned it contained shit even Valkorion wouldn't use and someone had the bright idea to tear it apart from orbit. >_>
Little concerned about the "winding everything down in preparation for closure" possibility, they've been doing this skeleton-crew thing for a while and suddenly release allofthechapters at once? Really long ones? Like maybe this is the end and they just turn to churning out decos and redoable DvL content now (achievements supposedly got wiped in case they want to reuse the event). darkside ending oh no
Posted Dec 4, 16
Empire
I think rather than actually seeing Valkorion again at mots we might see after effects of him, like perhaps the new secret organization hinted at in uprisings will turn out to be the remnants of The Emperor's Hand or some other secret cult like organization devoted to Valkorion or something like that, but I don't think we will see his direct return again.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted Dec 4, 16
Neutral
I would love if we could see Malgus again seeing that we know he was simply put in carbonite and not actually killed.
Posted Dec 4, 16
Republic
As someone who has rped thru several MMOs there is nothing worse for RP IMO then the continual dragging out of a story long after it should be over. The Emperor is dead and defeated. I hope that Bioware just wraps up the story and lets the big story stuff just sort of end. Show how the Republic becomes the only ruling government in the galaxy again is the only thing that really needs to be wrapped up. Its better to go out with closure then to keep dragging things out til EA decides to pull the plug and its too late.
p5EFBTv.jpg
Posted Dec 4, 16
Donor
Neutral
At this point I do not believe Bioware is sticking with established lore anymore, especially with the introduction of the Eternal Empire, Eternal Fleet, and now the Eternal Alliance. They seem to be making their own storyline.

I do agree that if they can't give us content and worthwhile story they should discontinue, as much as I've enjoyed TOR in the past.

Malgus coming back would be really awesome though. Inb4 Lord Hater new antagonist.
Posted Dec 5, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Something to keep in mind is games have a natural lifespan. Of course everyone remembers the shock of SWG shutting down the most, but most games don't abruptly close, they just sort of dwindle and go on maintenance mode.

It's happened to tons but the one I'm most familiar with is Age of Conan. That game was very big and popular when it was new. It had huge RP communities, new features and expansions being added, the works. By the time it was 5 years old it was still going, but hadn't had anything major for a year or two. And now it's still alive, but on life support. People still play but its a shadow of what it was and it's getting virtually no love from the devs.

^ That is more typical for what happens to MMOs, except TOR is a more popular game than AOC ever was, so I'm sure it will take longer to get to that point. But it will, as all games but WoW are destined to.

I find it's best to accept games will slowly fade. That doesn't mean they can't still be enjoyed for years to come. TOR is now 5 which is pretty old in a world where there's a half dozen new MMOs every year. The fact is that love it or hate it it's still pumping out a good amount of new content every year compared to -many- games.

All that to say, yes, I'm sure they are wrapping things up to a certain extent, but I'm also sure story will continue for as long as it's financially viable for them to do so. I don't think we're in immediate danger yet.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Dec 5, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
I think the whole Eternal Grind crates thing was put in to make sure that the little resources can create new content at a leisured/lazy pace and EA can put the game in maintenance mode with very little updates, simply milking the Starwars as long as they can.

They are counting on alt-collector's OCD to make them grind it all over again and give them 2-3 years to come up with something new at a snail's pace and effort.
w40k%20player.jpg
Posted Dec 5, 16 · Last edited Dec 5, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
Considering you can max your ranks in a month's time -- Its not going to last that long. There -is- a rank cap (300).
Posted Dec 5, 16
Empire
The first thing that has to happen is the Eternal Fleet needs to be neutralized. As it stands its a deus ex machina in the hands of the player-character, which has to be removed ASAP for the narrative to have any significance. Whether that means that SCORPIO takes command (I think she survived either way) or some other force neutralizes it, that's a gaping plothole waiting to happen, in the same way the Star Forge was for KOTOR until they canonized Revan being good (Also, anyone kinda annoyed that the basically repeated the same plot? BAD GUY USES UNLIMITED DROID ARMY TO CONQUER GALAXY)

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Posted Dec 5, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices