Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 2

Resolved [Suggestions] Moderation of Chatbox

19 replies
Empire
I can't see this going through since the chat box is so well established at this point... but for what it's worth, I just wanted to say I agree completely, and personally feel every single RP forum that has added a chat box has suffered for it. So I'm not just attacking this one.

But when there's a real time chat box, people stop making threads to discuss most things. When people discuss stuff on threads it's easier to moderate if things are getting out of hand. It's also friendlier to the people who only look at the forum once or twice a day--you won't miss out on much if discussion took place in threads, and it's there forever for people to benefit from in the future.

I've used the chat box a few times. I see why people like it. I just feel they do more harm than good, so you have my sympathies for something that's going to be shouted down, OP.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Sep 20, 16 · Last edited Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
A little while ago I asked a mod about consequences for a certain user's behavior in the chatbox that we seemed to both agree was pretty inappropriate and deserving of being somehow addressed by the mod team. I asked why no action had been taken, since the stuff in question had been ongoing for weeks by then, and the response I got was more or less "I don't know, we were going to do something".

That user's actions, as far as I know, are still unaddressed several weeks later, and they continue to say the same kind of stuff in the chat pretty often. That's more or less when I realized the mod team just seems very reluctant to discipline over chat-based stuff and it's best to close the chat and pretend it's not there rather than trying to pursue mod intervention regarding anything said in there. Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea -- that's just how it looks to me right now.

I do like the mods, and I can sympathize with how tough it must be to moderate something like a chat box, but I've found them to be kind of off their game recently, at least by my expectations.

If this is the case, I would advise you to contact the staff. You can report my post to get in touch with them quickly, or visit the staff information thread. Bear in mind that the staff does not typically announce when they take action or what that action is. I don't think public shaming is really something they want to promote.

Edit: There's now a staff contact form, too: http://ebhawk.enjin.com/contactstaff
Posted Sep 20, 16 · Last edited Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
wrote:
If this is the case, I would advise you to contact the staff. You can report my post to get in touch with them quickly, or visit the staff information thread. Bear in mind that the staff does not typically announce when they take action or what that action is. I don't think public shaming is really something they want to promote.

I assumed contacting the staff wouldn't do much, since I was already talking to a mod about something that had apparently already been discussed amongst the whole mod team.

Definitely not trying to public shame or anything of that nature! I have no beef with the mod in question. I just thought the anecdote might shed some light on why the chat often seems like such an unmoderated place. I'm sincerely sorry if I came off like I was trying to "call out" anyone, that's not my intent at all.
Posted Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Administrator
Republic
wrote:
A little while ago I asked a mod about consequences for a certain user's behavior in the chatbox that we seemed to both agree was pretty inappropriate and deserving of being somehow addressed by the mod team. I asked why no action had been taken, since the stuff in question had been ongoing for weeks by then, and the response I got was more or less "I don't know, we were going to do something".

That user's actions, as far as I know, are still unaddressed several weeks later, and they continue to say the same kind of stuff in the chat pretty often. That's more or less when I realized the mod team just seems very reluctant to discipline over chat-based stuff and it's best to close the chat and pretend it's not there rather than trying to pursue mod intervention regarding anything said in there. Maybe I'm getting the wrong idea -- that's just how it looks to me right now.

I do like the mods, and I can sympathize with how tough it must be to moderate something like a chat box, but I've found them to be kind of off their game recently, at least by my expectations.

No. To be perfectly frank with you, publicly shaming addresses drama that shouldn't be brought to people in the first place. That's unhealthy. That promotes terrible things for the community, or any community for that matter. That isn't how you resolve the issues, either.

Due to that, the majority of you won't see what we discuss in our administration chat-- But we do do our job. In the matter that is attempted without biased, without nepotism in mind. Clear-headed, and objectively. That is what is required for us to do what we do.
9ab7ad7f337bd30c517104fa6dd2d241.png
Posted Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Due to that, the majority of you won't see what we discuss in our administration chat-- But we do our job. In the matter that is attempted without biased, without nepotism in mind. Clear-headed, and objectively. That is what is required for us to do what we do.

I will second that. I'm friends with Krek, and work closely with Sirenis. That said, I've still received warnings and instructions of how my behavior on the forums needs to change, like when I called someone a whore. They did not look the other way.

That said, I strongly suggest that everyone close the chat box, and then walk away and never look back. Recently, I wrote this...

"And once I turned off the chatbox, I started to feel that most of the people [on EBHawk] are decent non-piles of shit."

Seriously. I strongly recommend it. There should be a guide, sticked, that explains how to do it at the top of the front desk subform. With a title like "This will make your experience so much better." But then, I have said many times to many people that I despise the chat box.
The first rule of RP Club is to tell as many people as possible about RP Club
Posted Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Jai
Neutral
wrote:

But when there's a real time chat box, people stop making threads to discuss most things. When people discuss stuff on threads it's easier to moderate if things are getting out of hand. It's also friendlier to the people who only look at the forum once or twice a day--you won't miss out on much if discussion took place in threads, and it's there forever for people to benefit from in the future.

This is another, very salient point. Eight hours of the day, I have a mobile device with which to check Enjin. Therefore, I couldn't actively participate in the chatbox if I wanted to. I like threads being the focus, because, as you said, I'm able to keep up to date with stuff. It's why I've been using them for my event. I prefer to have an easily accessible record of things.

wrote:

Due to that, the majority of you won't see what we discuss in our administration chat-- But we do do our job. In the matter that is attempted without biased, without nepotism in mind. Clear-headed, and objectively. That is what is required for us to do what we do.

Perhaps moderation of the chat box could be its own discussion point, but here's a pretty practical almost compromise a friend provided to me, privately: Could we empower the mods, individually and of their own accord, to issue 24h bans in case of egregious behaviour, with permanent bans requiring full mod consensus as per the norm?

That way a reporter can be advised (without detail) that action was taken. I mean, the chatbox will state "Krek banned Jai from EBHawk Chatbox (24h)." It shows that the behaviour was noticed and temporarily addressed to give the mods time to come together to figure out the course of action. I don't believe that the moderators will abuse this, and I don't believe doing such things constitutes "silencing". If there are etiquette rules, they need to be enforced somehow, or else what is the point?

I don't think anyone expects the mods to air out dirty moderation laundry. I used to moderate a roleplay site, and some of the mod discussions got pretty darn salty while we worked on issues.

All of the above - the logistical and ethical difficulties of real-time moderation - is part of the reason that I made my initial suggestion in the first place.

ETA: I did take a gander at the Chatbox Etiquette. I still think my suggestion can stand as an immediate action to be taken.
14ff2d9301b30ea359041a7b4c30231e.png
Posted Sep 20, 16 · OP · Last edited Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Administrator
Republic
@Jai

The mods already do have the power to ban people under their own right if said behavior is overzealous and besides itself! We trust eachother to do it. I, however, want the full opinion of my staff at all times so I don't feel I'm overstepping anything. One individual when you're able to ask others, making a judgment call, is rarely the correct way to go about it. Now, we have seven to do that.

but tl;dr yes, they can already do that.
9ab7ad7f337bd30c517104fa6dd2d241.png
Posted Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Personally I just think if someone reaches out to a mod they think is present at the time about something that's about to spill over in chat, said mod ought to do more than just go "change the topic please," because that hasn't worked very much. A hand-slap on the offenders with a quick mute or hell, a kick, would go a long way to enforce proper chat behavior.

And if people don't like being kicked/muted/etc, then they'll either leave and take their assholery with them, or they will learn to behave.
wrote:
@Jai

The mods already do have the power to ban people under their own right if said behavior is overzealous and besides itself! We trust eachother to do it. I, however, want the full opinion of my staff at all times so I don't feel I'm overstepping anything. One individual when you're able to ask others, making a judgment call, is rarely the correct way to go about it. Now, we have seven to do that.

but tl;dr yes, they can already do that.

I just want to address the first post, as Krek's response explains some of my reasoning here:

In regards to the situation Milani's referring to, one of our newer moderator's was contacted, as there was a situation brewing in the chatbox. When the individual took a look at things, the discussion had moved onto a different, though no more appropriate topic. They requested that people knock it off, at which point they were ignored and even outright questioned. I happened to be suddenly available, stepped in myself, and re-iterated what the first mod had stated.

However, almost immediately afterwards, we came to the realization that the meat of the issue was actually located further up the chatscroll a bit. We discussed among ourselves and agreed to punish the individual responsible, and that person now has seven days to think on their actions and the way they behaved.

Not to put words in this moderator's mouth, but as a new addition to the team, I understand not wanting to go into a situation like that half-cocked, as it could very well lead to a larger issue. I would ask that users think on what I've said before dragging this individual through the mud any further; they tried their utmost in the moment, and thus they deserve to be treated with a modicum of decency.
Posted Sep 20, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Not trying to drag said moderator through the mud, I respect them to the utmost. Was just referencing what has been said several times in the past, not just today.
Posted Sep 21, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Not trying to drag said moderator through the mud, I respect them to the utmost. Was just referencing what has been said several times in the past, not just today.

Wasn't really accusing you of that, but it's my understanding that some individuals were doing just that yesterday. Just wanted to help deal with some misconceptions that some might have.
Posted Sep 21, 16
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices