Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Resolved Introduction of an Ebon Hawk Community Staff

7 replies
Empire
Now, as we all currently know, the Moderators are the true blue base structure of the site. Keep the peace, basically.

But what if we expand further on that? Implent new roles built on the precipice of enhancing user experience?

Quite a thought, no? Now, this has been brought up before, and it was suggest by the Mod asked that is sure be made into a poll. As if that has merit success during this past year.

Regardless, it is what it is. Before doing so, I ask all to read through carefully, as the roles. And purpose for and behind them.

Technical Staff:
Responsible for making the site running efficiently and effectively as possible. Also issuing updates and refits. Despite what some may think, there are ways to improve web navigation.

Moderation Staff: Cause we need'em.

Site Guides: Somewhat of an, ask me anything type. Essentially, they will basically be the go to person when you have a general question pertaining to the site or confused on certain areas of the site.

Feedback Team: Believe it or not, this group is beneficial. Sorting through feedback or considering suggestions brought up to the user. Say you have something that would enhance the site, allow this group to review, and bring it up to someone in the tech staff. Next day, that suggestion came to life.

The whole purpose behind this staff is to better build the user experience, as well as alevate some of the pressure the Mods get. Let's face it, they deal with a lot for just them being only a handful. Regardless, the purpose behind all of this is clear and remains the same. User experience. Everything does feel dull to us over time. Perhaps a change to the web layout? New page skin? It could be any thing. Surprisingly, the great benefit to updating is it appears new. New catches the attention of people. All and all, this is meant to make the community come closer and expand even further.

All positions would be by application, obviously these would be people with experience and in depth knowledge of which ever position they apply for.

So, say what you think. Offer a suggestion. And please provide applicable reason to deny this, personal experience is just that. Yours. Not everyone else, I will review this daily; and will ask to have said post removed if it is not an applicable reason yo deny.
Yes, a staff should be considered and utilized.
0 votes
0%
No, I am comfortable with how things currently are.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Wet_zps3a021859.jpg
Posted Aug 25, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16
Donor
Empire
Poll threads scare me.

I would be okay with seeing a few new faces on the ebhawk staff since I know some of the mods no longer play SWTOR.

Dakhath is already the main technical staff (developer) for the site but it might be worth having a design/graphics position if someone's interested in that sort of role.

Guide roles would be nice, but I'm not sure how much use they'd get.

Not sure about the feedback group since the poll threads (as nasty as they usually get) tend to serve the same purpose.
"Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned."
Portfolio || DeviantArt
Posted Aug 25, 16 · Last edited Aug 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
I'm with Cnids -- a couple more mods would be nice, things around here are starting to feel a little lax at times, but all these specialized positions seem pretty unnecessary.
Posted Aug 25, 16
Developer
Donor
Neutral
wrote:
Dakhath is already the main technical staff (developer) for the site but it might be worth having a design/graphics position if someone's interested in that sort of role.

Yep! And it's very important to note that I do not make changes unless it's something that's gone through the suggestion forums. That is, I don't just decide I want something and then do it, because that's not what my job is here. That would be counter to the reasons behind this site's existence in the first place.

While I certainly wouldn't mind anyone helping out with that - I'm still pretty inexperienced with anything to do with the Enjin API and my scripting is a bit rusty these days - it would have to be with this in mind. Unless we're just fixing something that Enjin broke, we don't make changes without putting them up for vote first. What I personally prefer might not be what the community in general wants. As such, I don't think the technical staff section as worded is a good idea. (And frankly I find the whole "Despite what some may think, there are ways to improve web navigation." comment to be a little bit condescending, both to me and the admins/staff as well as to the user base in general. I think the user base has a pretty good idea of what they want. Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but that's how it comes across, at least to me.)

More moderators might not be a bad idea since I believe the current ones are a little bit busy.

Site guides are something I have no strong opinion on. I don't think we need something like that, but maybe some people want that or want to offer to do that. Although, uh... that's kinda a function the chatbox already serves. People ask questions about stuff there all the time and I've never once seen anyone tell someone not to do that.

I don't think a Feedback team is necessary. That's what the suggestions subforum is for. I don't think it's a good idea to set up a system where being able to suggest something is gated behind someone on staff liking the idea. This site was created with the idea that users would always be involved. We shouldn't take steps that change that.

Given the responses to this thread so far, I think you might want to add another option to the poll, Bishop :
Yes, all of these ideas should be considered.

Yes, some of these ideas should be considered but not all.

No, I am comfortable with how things currently are.

Or maybe make it a multi-choice poll with each of your suggestions as an option. As it is, it's going to be difficult to tell which of these things people want, and everyone who has posted up to this point has said basically said "yes to some but not all".

wrote:
So, say what you think. Offer a suggestion. And please provide applicable reason to deny this, personal experience is just that. Yours. Not everyone else, I will review this daily; and will ask to have said post removed if it is not an applicable reason yo deny.

People don't have to post a reason to disagree with you, and I don't think the mods are going to delete a post just because you don't like their reasons for disagreeing.
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Graphic Artist
Republic
wrote:
...but it might be worth having a design/graphics position if someone's interested in that sort of role.

I'm here :(

And even then I only "implement" stuff (with some help) when it's needed or wanted. Other than that, I was a bit hesitant to vote yes, even if new mods could be used due to present irl shenanigans getting in the way of the present staff members.
Posted Aug 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Administrator
Republic
We're going to hire new mods. I explained this to Bishop privately on Discord. I was giving someone a week. It's down to two days, to get back to me on something (that I don't want to explain just yet) before I make the announcement.

Also, please. The passive-aggression directed at our developers, (thank you Dakhath ) is not appreciated. Ravnie as well, has done work, and we infinitely appreciate both. We are fine in that regard, and don't have to worry too much. Unless people approach publicly on the forums and seek out to make changes in, posts, like these.
9ab7ad7f337bd30c517104fa6dd2d241.png
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
wrote:

Again, I don't want to be 'that person' but... you can't tell people 'say what you think' on one hand, then tell people you'll ask to have their posts deleted if (in your opinion) what they think is not an 'applicable reason'. If you put up an opinion poll, you are opening yourself to hearing other people's opinions, whether you think they are 'applicable' or not. If people get insulting/disruptive/etc., then sure, the mods will step in, but you can't dictate what people will say (or think) to the degree you're suggesting. You might want to reconsider your own thoughts on this subject.
Posted Aug 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Administrator
Republic
Rather, I apologize. I should have clarified in my first post. Due to the fact that we've already reached a conclusion agreeing in the ruling of this poll, it is irrelevant. We will be closing it. However, I would encourage you, Bishop, to throw up the other thread you referred to in this thread for suggestions. (It sounded as if you were implying you had more you would like to suggest, but I may have been misunderstanding. I know in previous conversation you had pushed and suggested, enhancing user experience)

For any interested in moderation, I will keep to schedule and the thread will be up on Saturday. With or without the announcement I wanted to make.
9ab7ad7f337bd30c517104fa6dd2d241.png
Posted Aug 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
NoticeNotices