Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 5

Resolved [Suggestion] EBHAWK Discord Channel

41 replies
Empire
Connecting in any community can be difficult, so anything that makes it easier is good, right?

Discord, from what I have seen, can be a huge boon to an RP community. I have seen one for BDO, individual guilds and TESO-RP, and each have been really well done.

A big benefit of having a Discord vs. just relying on the chat box we have now is separate channels. (General, Off Topic, Lore, etc.) It also has built in voice chat, for those who prefer it.

Here's a look at how TESO-RP's Discord is set up: (I've blacked out names of users and games that aren't TESO, just to be careful. /shrug)

3746107.jpg

I personally wouldn't want to set it up, but would be willing to help out a bit and even reach out to other communities for tips if we decided to go through with it.
Yes, I think we would benefit from having a Discord for ebhawk.enjin!
3 votes
100%
No.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 3
Posted Aug 20, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
[
I said nothing about RP being "good", I said "complex emotes". Meaning if you're just chatting IC with super short emotes it is way easier to be in voice chat at the same time, than if you were writing 4 paragraph long GM emotes, or figuring out how to word an emotional scene, or anything else with considerable depth.

I personally think it's rude to multitask during RP. I prefer to give the people I'm RPing with my attention. I'm sorry if that's passive aggressive to you.

You prefaced the comments on "complex emotes" with a statement about 'If your RP quality doesn't decrease." So yes in fact you did mention RP being good by referencing quality, and as a result were passive aggressively remarking that anyone who's RP doesn't decrease in quality while on voice is obviously always using low quality RP as a result.

Nor is LENGTH of emote in any way a proper judgement of QUALITY, short descriptive posts can be just as good of quality as lengthy ones. Twelve paragraphs of over descriptive prose spending eight of them describing the specific shade of purple that the unimportant object in your hand is, is not any better quality of RP than just saying "the dark metallic purple object." More is not always better.

For that matter I fail to see how comparing GUILDS with optional voice options and the effects it creates with the non mandatory voice option of a COMMUNITY WEBSITE is a fair or valid comparison either. All an EBhawk Discord would do essentially is add options that people would be free to use or not use, to the site. I fail to see where the issue with this is other than apparently some people are just simply afraid of any form of change that goes against what they want and if it's not something they would use then it's awful, even if its existence in no way effects them.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Spoilered because offtopic
Spoiler: Show
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
And I'll be the first to say you don't need a four to five paragraph response or introduction post explaincan how you took a step. Again, over analyzing what you've experienced personally, and I can earnestly say with a smile on my face, "Hey, sucks to have had a shit experience."

More or less, Discord has by far the most RP friendly voice chat to come into existence. Several RP communities utilize it. And if you've ever been in BDO RP Discord chat, you'll get a pretty big idea of how things work. Cause... Spoiler. They make it work. A little effort goes a long way.

I'm sure we've all heard that in our life times, some more than others. Look, you want something to happen. Make it happen, its like making a guild grow. Either you bear the brunt of the work, or sit back and expect shit to happen. Hey, that's a pretty clear line. I'm trying my best to bite my tongue about all of this, namely one. But why let past experience effect current experience? Usually the only time I've encountered someone who didn't want to join voice chat is well... A well known female character being played by a male player. Really.... what's so bad about that. Like... Seriously. I'll admit it, I have female characters. Don't RP them, but I have them.

Either way... Beltane, leave the grain of salt for the cooking. What you experience and prefer, that's on you. It doesn't need to be explained over and over again. Cite and source all you want, its still not going to change the clear and stated alternatives you can utilize to maintain your "superb RP." I'll even list it.

1. Mute/Deafen - Finding it hard to type as you speak? Well, utilize these functions that are often hotkeyed or the click of a mouse, you can enter a realm of silence. So you can keep on typing.
2. Deafened Rooms - Channels specifically meant for RP, where privileges can be set to omit certain means of communication like speech or hearing.
3. Publically Announcing - Caught in mid talk while posting? Well, you can verbally say you are in an RP and will resume the conversation once you have completed typing.
4. Don't Join - Its as simple as that! But fear you might miss out on the action? Then by all means, please ask to be notified for any RP currently being planned. And thus the information can be relayed back to you so you don't miss out on the fun.

Follow these 4 easy steps, and problems of the past can dissapear.

Seriously. That fucking simple. There are times to be calm and collected, and there are times to be brunt and forward. Oak, you want to make this happen. Shoot me a message anytime. I'll help any way, shape, or form.
Wet_zps3a021859.jpg
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Spoilered because offtopic
Spoiler: Show

The amount of irony and outright changing your words around in this post is ridiculous. I will however let that go and as you wish and continue the conversation by pointing out that you in no way addressed the points that Discord would be an entirely optional tool for a Community Site and not a Guild. And as such in which voice chat being optional is in no way similar to it being optional in a guild, nor is there any reason to expect it to create the same effects. People would be free to use it or not use it as they wished, I have yet to see a valid argument for why this is a bad thing that is even remotely credible beyond talking about bad voice chat experiences that are not even directly related to the point of having a community discord.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Administrator
Republic
Okay. I will be locking the thread. We will leave it open to vote, but the discussion held here is no longer constructive and inappropriate. I will also be discussing this with the staff, as well.
9ab7ad7f337bd30c517104fa6dd2d241.png
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices