Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 5

Resolved [Suggestion] EBHAWK Discord Channel

41 replies
Empire
Connecting in any community can be difficult, so anything that makes it easier is good, right?

Discord, from what I have seen, can be a huge boon to an RP community. I have seen one for BDO, individual guilds and TESO-RP, and each have been really well done.

A big benefit of having a Discord vs. just relying on the chat box we have now is separate channels. (General, Off Topic, Lore, etc.) It also has built in voice chat, for those who prefer it.

Here's a look at how TESO-RP's Discord is set up: (I've blacked out names of users and games that aren't TESO, just to be careful. /shrug)

3746107.jpg

I personally wouldn't want to set it up, but would be willing to help out a bit and even reach out to other communities for tips if we decided to go through with it.
Yes, I think we would benefit from having a Discord for ebhawk.enjin!
3 votes
100%
No.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 3
Posted Aug 20, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
The pessimistic side of me thinks that it would be a shitload of moderation work/'he said she said' to do anything about harassment in voicechat. It'd be hard to report anything without recording voice (which can skeeve people out) or relying on a bunch of other folk to back you up.

In my experience this goes alright for smallscale guilds where you can trust folk will behave but I really don't know about anything larger.

While I'm a fan of Discord and happy to use it with friends/guilds/for RP events and raids, I find myself agreeing with this sentiment. Voice chat is a lot harder to moderate, as to do so properly would require at least one staff member/mod to be in the channel and listening pretty much 24/7, and that's completely unrealistic to expect.

In addition, it's also another program for people to run while working/playing TOR/writing/etc., and not only is that something a lot of people may not be able to do as easily as just monitoring a website chatbox (such as when they are at work), but it also takes up resources on the computer. Some great RPers are on potato-quality PCs and they really don't need anything else taxing their hardware.

I'm not saying an EBHawk Discord is a horrible idea, but I think I'd just stick to the chatbox myself.
Posted Aug 23, 16 · Last edited Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Course I don't see what the fuss is, always a fee negative nancy'd in the flock..
It is not being a negative nancy to express your opinion, particularly if you have had negative experience with the thing being discussed.
Quote:
So I'm going to lay it out, plan and simple. VoIP's do not effect RP or communication what so ever. If it does, then you can't multitask very well.
That's your opinion. I've been in far more guilds that literally have a "no voice chat during RP" rule, or no guild voice server at all, -because- many people feel it hinders RP.

It pretty much always tanks RP when voice is going at the same time. I have personally experienced it MANY times. RP is flowing along, everything's great, then people get super active in voice chat and start laughing at something or telling some story and RP just... dies. Which is especially harmful for those not in the voice channel. They're just left wondering why everything got silent and then told "SORRY LOL VOICE IS SO FUNNY RIGHT NOW." That's not helpful to RP.

Also, you're right, I can't multitask at all, nor can most people I've met. I'd argue if your RP quality doesn't suffer in the least when you're listening to a bunch of people speak, and speaking yourself, that you must not be writing very complex emotes. Because it's literally impossible for me to be holding a conversation and writing something of substance at the same time.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Also, you're right, I can't multitask at all, nor can most people I've met. I'd argue if your RP quality doesn't suffer in the least when you're listening to a bunch of people speak, and speaking yourself, that you must not be writing very complex emotes. Because it's literally impossible for me to be holding a conversation and writing something of substance at the same time.

Because clearly your own limitations apply to everyone else right? I was pretty sure this was a discussion about the pros and cons of discord not for insulting people because they claim they can do things you cant and that somehow in your mind gives you right to passive aggressively, tell them their RP isn't as good as yours.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
No, its actually called selective hearing.

All and all, if he wants to do it. Let him. So no need for the long, over descriptive need to explain why you and others can't do that.

And this is what technically peeves me as a community, where many do rely on the opinion and advice as others (nothing wrong with that), it can either be a positive or a negative. The thing is, I've only read two substating reasons as why those do not want a community voice chat. The rest have been personal. Now there isn't anything necessarily wrong with that, there is such a thing as over opionating. And can recourse in a negative reaction for whom may have original proposed the idea.

So rather than squander a suggestion, and others who offer there two cents. Sit back, take a moment, and consider what is being said in your head before those fingers press the keys. Its all about provided a positive experience and allowing others the feel comfortable in a sense of where they can freely express their ideas pubickily and safely take in the pro's and con's.

So again, if you can't RP while in a voice chat. There are tools in which you can assist with that. Or the ultimate alternative is not join while RPing. The idea and presentation is simple, yet productive. Adding another means of communication that doesn't require a browser and allow for easier communication versus typing. That is the general purpose of polls. Expressing the pro's and con's. Not creating a straining wall of text where one explains the same issues in several paragraphs.

Poll or not, if this something he wants to do. Where is the harm? And people want to participate, more power to them.
Wet_zps3a021859.jpg
Posted Aug 24, 16
Neutral
wrote:
That's your opinion. I've been in far more guilds that literally have a "no voice chat during RP" rule, or no guild voice server at all, -because- many people feel it hinders RP.

There's a simple fix for that that people themselves can do: Don't join a voice channel if they feel it hinders RP. A guild shouldn't have to make a rule or just flat out refuse to have a voice server just because people feel it negatively affects them when there's a rather logical option of - wait for it - not joining the voice server at all while they're busy..
wrote:
It pretty much always tanks RP when voice is going at the same time. I have personally experienced it MANY times. RP is flowing along, everything's great, then people get super active in voice chat and start laughing at something or telling some story and RP just... dies. Which is especially harmful for those not in the voice channel. They're just left wondering why everything got silent and then told "SORRY LOL VOICE IS SO FUNNY RIGHT NOW." That's not helpful to RP.

Really, what does RP have to do with there being voice channels? As adults, they can make the decision to not join any while they're in RP. Most people don't, and that probably wouldn't change even if there were voice channels available for use.
wrote:

Not everyone is you. You can't multitask and some people you met can't; but that doesn't apply for everyone.

I for one, agree with creating a discord - one that will take the place of the regular chat box. It's a rather unwieldy beast, and I'd argue that it's easier for you to moderate discord instead of the Enjin chatbox. Additionally, Discord is a rather easy and aesthetically pleasing chat service (I use the IRC layout), and many of the functions are very, very user friendly. It'll be easier to separate topics of discussion and will allow people to use voice chat for various things (especially since you can make multiple voice channels). Enjin chat also lacks the ability of creating permissions for certain people and of limiting the posting of some things (rip chat scroll from images). There's also the additional capability of creating channels that only some people can see and putting individual moderators over separate channels.
eODvUR5.gif
Posted Aug 24, 16 · Last edited Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Administrator
Republic
Folks, let's remember not to make digs or remarks at people. That isn't what this thread is for, and I'm pretty sure Oak wanted to foster good and healthy community interaction. Aggression, is not even remotely that.
9ab7ad7f337bd30c517104fa6dd2d241.png
Posted Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
All and all, if he wants to do it. Let him. So no need for the long, over descriptive need to explain why you and others can't do that.
Why did he make a poll if he didn't want input? What is preventing him from making his own Discord and posting it for people to join?

I personally don't care who wants to make private voice chats. Have at it! Make all the channels you want!

But the thread is about an officially sanctioned Ebhawk voice chat/discord. I think every user of the site has a right to have input on that, without falling into insults and "just shut up if you don't like it" mentality.
Because clearly your own limitations apply to everyone else right? I was pretty sure this was a discussion about the pros and cons of discord not for insulting people because they claim they can do things you cant and that somehow in your mind gives you right to passive aggressively, tell them their RP isn't as good as yours.
I said nothing about RP being "good", I said "complex emotes". Meaning if you're just chatting IC with super short emotes it is way easier to be in voice chat at the same time, than if you were writing 4 paragraph long GM emotes, or figuring out how to word an emotional scene, or anything else with considerable depth.

I personally think it's rude to multitask during RP. I prefer to give the people I'm RPing with my attention. I'm sorry if that's passive aggressive to you.
wrote:
There's a simple fix for that that people themselves can do: Don't join a voice channel if they feel it hinders RP. A guild shouldn't have to make a rule or just flat out refuse to have a voice server just because people feel it negatively affects them when there's a rather logical option of - wait for it - not joining the voice server at all while they're busy..
Every guild I've ever been in that had a voice chat had the "well just don't join if you don't want to" option and guess what happened? Half the guild didn't join and communication became fragmented. There were comments made in gchat in response to something someone said in voice chat and people wouldn't explain the context. People in voice would make RP plans and leave out the people not in voice. People would also just sit in the channel and complain which made RP feel way more toxic overall. Voice chat tends to create a sort of negative feedback loop.
wrote:
Really, what does RP have to do with there being voice channels? As adults, they can make the decision to not join any while they're in RP. Most people don't, and that probably wouldn't change even if there were voice channels available for use.
I just explained it. RP comes grinding to a screeching halt when voice gets active. People stop emoting because they're chatting. That has an impact on RP.
Quote:
Not everyone is you. You can't multitask and some people you met can't; but that doesn't apply for everyone.
It honestly applies to everyone I've ever met who has been RPing while in voice--including the people who think they're amazing at multitasking. You can -always tell- because their emotes get short and distracted, the time between them gets longer, etc.

It's pretty much been proven by science that you can only focus on one task at a time. (source) If you're doing 5 things at once chances are you aren't doing any of them very well.

Look, I know what I'm talking about, because I used to adore voice chat and be in the whole time I was online, including while I was RPing. I've seen what it does to harm communities and have no interest in it anymore. Of course people are welcome to be in voice all day if they want, but I feel like all sides have input here.

The question really boils down to, will this site improve or become cliquish if it has an official voice channel?
Posted Aug 24, 16 · Last edited Aug 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Sorry but I just had to highlight this part from that article I posted. >.>

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794
Quote:
"Think about writing an e-mail and talking on the phone at the same time. Those things are nearly impossible to do at the same time," he said.

"You cannot focus on one while doing the other. That's because of what's called interference between the two tasks," Miller said. "They both involve communicating via speech or the written word, and so there's a lot of conflict between the two of them."

Researchers say they can actually see the brain struggling.

I rest my case. And with that, I'll extract myself.
Posted Aug 24, 16
Empire
Roleplaying + Voice Chat is a no for me, yes.

It isn't for everyone though.

Just because I don't want to be in voice chat while I RP or be RPing with people who are also in voice chat doesn't mean it shouldn't be there. There are a lot of things people do that aren't RP / "space" where the two don't overlap.

But focusing too much on the voice chat OPTION really ignores all the other uses a Discord has, when it is really as simple as not joining the voice channels if they don't appeal to you.
Posted Aug 24, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices