Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 5

Resolved [Suggestion] EBHAWK Discord Channel

41 replies
Empire
Connecting in any community can be difficult, so anything that makes it easier is good, right?

Discord, from what I have seen, can be a huge boon to an RP community. I have seen one for BDO, individual guilds and TESO-RP, and each have been really well done.

A big benefit of having a Discord vs. just relying on the chat box we have now is separate channels. (General, Off Topic, Lore, etc.) It also has built in voice chat, for those who prefer it.

Here's a look at how TESO-RP's Discord is set up: (I've blacked out names of users and games that aren't TESO, just to be careful. /shrug)

3746107.jpg

I personally wouldn't want to set it up, but would be willing to help out a bit and even reach out to other communities for tips if we decided to go through with it.
Yes, I think we would benefit from having a Discord for ebhawk.enjin!
3 votes
100%
No.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 3
Posted Aug 20, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
What I'm getting from that is...

"Don't have this thing with multiple text channels and a voice chat because some people might say mean things in voice chat and we can't prove that they did without recording them (which is stupid, don't record people)."

People are going to talk shit anywhere they want to. In whispers. In general chat. On alts. On their walls. Loads of shit are talked about people on a daily basis, I am sure, so to me the possibility of shit-talking happening in voice chat is just like "Okay, so what...?" I don't need to go out and get proof or seek retribution for the people talking shit behind my back, if I know who they are I kindly stay away and mentally flip them the bird.

But yes, I do get the difference of a Discord owned by this community needing to be a safe space for people, thus needing moderation, thus making a voice chat -potentially problematic-. However I stand by the idea that potential problems are going to pop up anywhere and everywhere by people intent on making them, and I also stand by my wish to not be limited by other people's drama and potential for drama.

I suppose, were it to become a reality, and were people so utterly childish and volatile, closing down the voice room(s) would be a possibility. /shrug
Posted Aug 22, 16 · OP · Last edited Aug 22, 16
Empire
I think the biggest problem is what does this do that the chatbox doesn't already accomplish? It's just another chatbox when you're apparently already frustrated with the fact that there are multiple sites already in place. These extra channels really only come into play assuming people use them, and I'm not entirely certain what those extra channels accomplish that can't be done in the chat box or via forum threads.
Posted Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
This is not 1984, I would go against heavy moderation.
w40k%20player.jpg
Posted Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Empire
I don't really want a discord chat because it's going to be one more thing I have to manage for swtor. I follow four community websites, my guild website, enjin wall, website chatboxes, three in-game chat channels, two chat programs for the guild (thankfully we seem to have migrated back to one), and I would feel obligated to keep track of the server discord chat as well.

If what goes on in guilds is anything to go by, people tend to stop checking the website once there's a chat channel in place, and I don't really blame them for it. Why bother making the effort to keep up with the website when you can just go to the chat client and have people tell you what's going on?

I'm also not really sure what kind of content would be provided by the chat that can't be provided on the website. Are a lot of people too intimidated to make threads asking questions? Discussions about lore seem to work better in a longer post format, and the slower pace also gives people with busier schedules or time differences a chance to reply. All the channels you've shown in the screenshot already exist as subforums here and seem to be regularly used.

Then there's the elephant in the room (moderation). Seeing how abusive this community can get at times, I wouldn't be surprised to see more drama crop up because of the chat with people being nasty or feeling excluded. You've mentioned you don't have any interest in running the discord, which means you recognize it's a committment and someone's going to have to put in the work.

Maybe I'm just a huge pessimist, but it doesn't seem like the value provided by a discord chat would outweigh the negatives.
"Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned."
Portfolio || DeviantArt
Posted Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
No one knows why there are three website - I only knew of the two, so a third is somewhat of a surprise though I can hazard a few guesses to why it might exist.
I dooooo. Each site had/has its own drama and people who wanted to rule the game/server by virtue of being "community leaders" but thankfully each site also has/had reasonable people. Tons of drama in that checkered past though, but yes, you're right that it boils down to people not being able to get along and wanting to have power.

Heck, someone made a spinoff TOR ERP site of all things, but I digress.
But yes, I do get the difference of a Discord owned by this community needing to be a safe space for people, thus needing moderation, thus making a voice chat -potentially problematic-. However I stand by the idea that potential problems are going to pop up anywhere and everywhere by people intent on making them, and I also stand by my wish to not be limited by other people's drama and potential for drama.
The phrase safe space gives me hives, but other than that, I agree with Adrastia. It is honestly asking way too much of -any- mod for them to sit in the Discord and make sure people play nice. Just about the only thing that can be done is people taking screenshots or whatever of abusive behavior in Discord and reporting it to the admins...

But the moderation angle is still not why I don't like it. I just contend once a Discord gets popular, forum activity plummets. You already see it on this forum because of the chat box--seriously. Forums that don't have active chat boxes have WAY more active discussion than this one does. Why bother posting to a thread if you can drop in and chitchat in the moment?
wrote:
I don't really want a discord chat because it's going to be one more thing I have to manage for swtor. I follow four community websites, my guild website, enjin wall, website chatboxes, three in-game chat channels, two chat programs for the guild (thankfully we seem to have migrated back to one), and I would feel obligated to keep track of the server discord chat as well.

If what goes on in guilds is anything to go by, people tend to stop checking the website once there's a chat channel in place, and I don't really blame them for it. Why bother making the effort to keep up with the website when you can just go to the chat client and have people tell you what's going on?
^^^^^^ Bingo.

And seriously, every time I drop in on the Discord for the two game forums I use that do have one, it's just literally nothing but screenshots, flirting, inside jokes, people acting silly, and then someone breaks up the inanity by asking an interesting game/lore question instead of making a thread where other people could benefit from it. It's terrible.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Aug 23, 16 · Last edited Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
No one knows why there are three website - I only knew of the two, so a third is somewhat of a surprise though I can hazard a few guesses to why it might exist.
I dooooo. Each site had/has its own drama and people who wanted to rule the game/server by virtue of being "community leaders" but thankfully each site also has/had reasonable people. Tons of drama in that checkered past though, but yes, you're right that it boils down to people not being able to get along and wanting to have power.

Heck, someone made a spinoff TOR ERP site of all things, but I digress.
The phrase safe space gives me hives, but other than that, I agree with Adrastia. It is honestly asking way too much of -any- mod for them to sit in the Discord and make sure people play nice. Just about the only thing that can be done is people taking screenshots or whatever of abusive behavior in Discord and reporting it to the admins...

But the moderation angle is still not why I don't like it. I just contend once a Discord gets popular, forum activity plummets. You already see it on this forum because of the chat box--seriously. Forums that don't have active chat boxes have WAY more active discussion than this one does. Why bother posting to a thread if you can drop in and chitchat in the moment?
wrote:

^^^^^^ Bingo.

And seriously, every time I drop in on the Discord for the two game forums I use that do have one, it's just literally nothing but screenshots, flirting, inside jokes, people acting silly, and then someone breaks up the inanity by asking an interesting game/lore question instead of making a thread where other people could benefit from it. It's terrible.

I would also add that the moderators are community members who do this in their free time for no compensation. Overtaxing them is rude and stresses them out.
Plus there is always the inevitable drama lama wandering in to graze when somebody thinks they are playing favourites with others, whenever it is true or not.
w40k%20player.jpg
Posted Aug 23, 16 · Last edited Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
Well with 41 votes in you would get around 20 people on the discord server. I'd say stand it up and see what happens.
Posted Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Still pretty close to even.

I am curious how many people saying no don't actually need to connect / already have their RP partners and groups set more or less in stone. And similarly, how many saying yes are saying yes because they've yet to make those kinds of connections and think this would help.
Posted Aug 23, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
I just said yes to make it even, not even lying there.

Course I don't see what the fuss is, always a fee negative nancy'd in the flock. So I'm going to lay it out, plan and simple. VoIP's do not effect RP or communication what so ever. If it does, then you can't multitask very well. Regardless, I've been in guilds who utilize community voice chats, yeah, it can get noisy but that's why we have that fancy deafen button.

In all honesty it brings a community closer than what you see now, more people are more than likely to join a voice chat over a forum any day. Namely because its easier and simplier, and doesn't interfere with connectivity like a browser page can.

Over-lays. They work with games. It is a thing.

If you ask me, I'd just make the damn thing mista Prof Oak. As a wise man once said.

If you build it, they will come."
Wet_zps3a021859.jpg
Posted Aug 23, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices