Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 5

Resolved [Suggestion] EBHAWK Discord Channel

41 replies
Empire
Connecting in any community can be difficult, so anything that makes it easier is good, right?

Discord, from what I have seen, can be a huge boon to an RP community. I have seen one for BDO, individual guilds and TESO-RP, and each have been really well done.

A big benefit of having a Discord vs. just relying on the chat box we have now is separate channels. (General, Off Topic, Lore, etc.) It also has built in voice chat, for those who prefer it.

Here's a look at how TESO-RP's Discord is set up: (I've blacked out names of users and games that aren't TESO, just to be careful. /shrug)

3746107.jpg

I personally wouldn't want to set it up, but would be willing to help out a bit and even reach out to other communities for tips if we decided to go through with it.
Yes, I think we would benefit from having a Discord for ebhawk.enjin!
3 votes
100%
No.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 3
Posted Aug 20, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
It is already happening, we are already a fragmented community on EH. Some will prefer to stay on this site alone, other will (and are) using other channels.

I'd vote (I did) to make one. The question is will it be Joe Random running it or someone linked to the excellent administration of this forum?

I will make one just for EU times anyhow and if there is a EH one created I'd happily shift that over should we ever have one.
Posted Aug 21, 16 · Last edited Aug 21, 16
Empire
I think if the Discord is run by the Site Staff, that's a lot of effort on their part when they're already stretched very thin. If it's not run by the Site Staff, you're just making a private group that's made up of your select from the site's userbase.
Posted Aug 21, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Empire
Where's the "I don't care if you make it, but I won't use it" option? xD

For reasons stated in the thread (cliques/hard to admin/too much voice/etc), I wouldn't use it. But if you want it, knock your socks off.
kDsd5vl.png
Posted Aug 21, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
I'm too lazy to do anything else but join a channel. Already have to bother with Discord due to BFGA modding.

On the other hand its faster than forum threads, which is not a bad but a good thing. Making a non moderated community channel on server for each side would be much easier and lazy and cost effective.
w40k%20player.jpg
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
Unofficially, maybe. The trouble with something like this is that it would be almost impossible to moderate. You can't have staff in voice 24/7 and even watching the text chat there is just extra work. The chat box on this site is plenty for me. I have Discord and I use it for smaller groups that I'm a part of, but I wouldn't be interested in something like that for the larger community.

That's what the chat box is for.

And ask yourself, honestly, if you would on a regular basis use the voice server for this site. I suspect that most of us already have other communities/guilds/whatever that we're in voice for. If it's just going to be another chat box, it doesn't serve much purpose.

Edit: And you mentioned yourself that you wouldn't be interested in running it. Who would?
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Contractor's Board
Donor
Neutral
From personal experience of RP communties and voice communication servers like this - They often do more harm than good, are ripe for abuse and honestly server little to no purpose when we have a chatbox. Considering the issues prevelant already in the site community and in turn, EH community in larger, I don't feel this would be a wise choice.
Posted Aug 21, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
The pessimistic side of me thinks that it would be a shitload of moderation work/'he said she said' to do anything about harassment in voicechat. It'd be hard to report anything without recording voice (which can skeeve people out) or relying on a bunch of other folk to back you up.

In my experience this goes alright for smallscale guilds where you can trust folk will behave but I really don't know about anything larger.
Posted Aug 21, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
The trouble with something like this is that it would be almost impossible to moderate. You can't have staff in voice 24/7 and even watching the text chat there is just extra work.

New moderator applications could be considered for the task.

wrote:
That's what the chat box is for.

Ehhhhh. Like I pointed out in the OP the chat box really doesn't serve the purpose -I- would like to use it for. I pop in maybe a few times a week and almost instantly lose interest in the topics being discussed, yet am still left with the desire to chat. So for me, and maybe others, that isn't true.

wrote:
And ask yourself, honestly, if you would on a regular basis use the voice server for this site. I suspect that most of us already have other communities/guilds/whatever that we're in voice for. If it's just going to be another chat box, it doesn't serve much purpose.

As it's much more than just a voice serve, I don't think that's totally important. TESO-RP's Discord's Voice Chat doesn't seem incredibly active, but the option of having it is nice.

wrote:
Edit: And you mentioned yourself that you wouldn't be interested in running it. Who would?

Another issue for after it's decided upon. Assuming someone wanted to and had the admins' blessing-... them.

wrote:
...Making a non moderated community channel on server for each side would be much easier and lazy and cost effective.

The issues with in-game channels... Word doesn't seem to spread. People don't know about them. They leave and forget. They make new characters and forget to join. In-game channels just don't seem like a valid alternative to what I'm proposing, in any way. They fill up your in-game screen. You can't access it without being logged in. Imperial / Republic divide. Etc.

wrote:
Discord and chat boxes kill forums. They usually wind up with just a few people in them and new people ask questions in there instead of making threads.

I'm not in BDO so I don't know how their Discord has affected their site, but TESO-RP still seems healthy enough after quite a while of theirs being live.

wrote:
Plus every forum I use that has a Discord, every time I go in there it's just the same 5-10 people joking and flirting all day and it gets super cliqueish. So no thanks.

This happens literally anywhere. It's about a certain type of person, not the platform for their behavior.

From personal experience of RP communties and voice communication servers like this - They often do more harm than good, are ripe for abuse and honestly server little to no purpose when we have a chatbox. Considering the issues prevelant already in the site community and in turn, EH community in larger, I don't feel this would be a wise choice.

I'm personally tired of paying for other people's drama. I still have -no- idea why there are at least three different sites for SW:TOR's roleplaying community but have grudgingly accepted it and stuck here where some friends from past games are.

I am honestly tired of the division and stepping around egg-shells half the time, but I don't think having a Discord will create much if anymore drama than already exists with the current methods of communication.
Posted Aug 22, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Contractor's Board
Donor
Neutral
Quote:
I'm personally tired of paying for other people's drama. I still have -no- idea why there are at least three different sites for SW:TOR's roleplaying community but have grudgingly accepted it and stuck here where some friends from past games are.

I am honestly tired of the division and stepping around egg-shells half the time, but I don't think having a Discord will create much if anymore drama than already exists with the current methods of communication.

No one knows why there are three website - I only knew of the two, so a third is somewhat of a surprise though I can hazard a few guesses to why it might exist. Not everyone can get along and hold hands, this is more true for online interactions than it is in real life - an online community where the mask of anonimity grands people a distinct lack of care towards the consequences of their actions.

A Discord will grant people a lot more power to do things, both for good and bad. Unless you're going to have people sit in there 24/7 to keep on ear on things - more will slip past than there is for the chatbox. The chatbox has records of what was said and by whom. Voice chat? Nope, unless someone wants to record everything.

My experience of voice chats being used in conjuction to a RP community is they do too much harm than they're worth - often just because people run their mouths without actual intentions of malice., both as a normal user and an admin/moderator of one.

It's hard enough to have people watch a chatbox 24/7, which can be controlled a lot easier than a voice chat due to the recording keeping - Imagine having to force someone to sit in a channel and listen to people talk about everything and anything, just to stop anyone talking shit. Which will happen anyway - often without the intention to and because people don't think as they talk half the time.

Gossip can very easily become harmful without the intention for it to be such.
Quote:
Ehhhhh. Like I pointed out in the OP the chat box really doesn't serve the purpose -I- would like to use it for. I pop in maybe a few times a week and almost instantly lose interest in the topics being discussed, yet am still left with the desire to chat. So for me, and maybe others, that isn't true.

What exactly do you want the purpose of chat to be? And there is nothing stopping you from inputting your own subject and talking about it. And how exactly will a voice chat be any better for this?
Posted Aug 22, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 5
NoticeNotices