Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1391]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 2

Asteroid Mall

16 replies
Donor
Neutral
Looks awesome! The Diner has an incredibly classic feel to it. The only issue I could find with it is that it doesn't seem like a very practical locale ICly, an asteroid belt would be a rather dangerous place to expect dozens of spacers to risk the trip for discounts. After all, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field is 3,720 to 1.
Posted Jun 13, 16 · Last edited Jun 13, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
wrote:
Looks awesome! The Diner has an incredibly classic feel to it. The only issue I could find with it is that it doesn't seem like a very practical locale ICly, an asteroid belt would be a rather dangerous place to expect dozens of spacers to risk the trip for discounts. After all, the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field is 3,720 to 1.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Polis_Massa
Posted Jun 13, 16 · OP
Donor
Neutral
wrote:
wrote:

My point wasn't really that it is impossible to have a mall on an asteroid, as much as it was about how to actually attract customers in such a desolate location. The fact that anyone looking to go shopping would firstly have to have a starship, and also be willing to make the trip to such a potentially dangerous area would really make it hard to compete with similar outlets in more populated regions like Corellia or Nar Shadaa.
Neutral
wrote:
wrote:
wrote:

My point wasn't really that it is impossible to have a mall on an asteroid, as much as it was about how to actually attract customers in such a desolate location. The fact that anyone looking to go shopping would firstly have to have a starship, and also be willing to make the trip to such a potentially dangerous area would really make it hard to compete with similar outlets in more populated regions like Corellia or Nar Shadaa.

But it's a gimmick, right? Come and eat on an asteroid! How novel and wacky! I like to think that factor makes up for how impractical it might be for some customers.
Posted Jun 13, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Neutral
But it's a gimmick, right? Come and eat on an asteroid! How novel and wacky! I like to think that factor makes up for how impractical it might be for some customers.

Of course! like I said it is a minor critique that can be overlooked. It's nice to see lots of different kinds of SH's opening up, I only wish that Bioware would give us the tools to make our own cool places for RP *crosses fingers for new SH*
Posted Jun 13, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
Asteroids in our asteroid belt are further apart than the distance between Earth and the moon. So if there's not a danger of landing on Hutta without crashing on Nar Shaddaa, then there wouldn't be a danger of landing on an Asteroid.
Posted Jun 13, 16 · OP · Last edited Jun 13, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
wrote:
Asteroids in our asteroid belt are further apart than the distance between Earth and the moon. So if there's not a danger of landing on Hutta without crashing on Nar Shaddaa, then there wouldn't be a danger of landing on an Asteroid.

That's true, but in Star Wars they're often a lot closer. I mean, our asteroid belt doesn't even look like a belt to the naked eye. It can't be seen because of its density (or lack thereof). If asteroid belts in SW resembled how they work in real life, the Millennium Falcon would never have been able to escape through the asteroid field near Hoth because it would've posed no danger to the Imperial ships and they'd have been easily pursued and shot to bits.

Not trying to argue with you or anything! I just like talking about nutso sci-fi physics. Like my theory/headcanon that space in SW isn't a vacuum, but actually aether, explaining why starfighters behave like fighter jets operating in atmospheres and why ships that lose power seem to experience drag and fall down out of orbit for no reason.
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices