Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 2

Resolved [Suggestion] Side Module Feeds

16 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
In response to the points made in this thread, and based on general activity, I wanted to take another look at how our side bars are organized. Like before, the struggle is to find a healthy balance between displaying and easily accessing useful information vs. reducing clutter.

Here is my proposal:

The three most notable changes are (1) the condensing and combining of the HoloNet and Contractor's board, to make room for (2) Interest Checks and The Classifieds, while (3) removing Latest Journals to bring down the overall side bar module count from six to five.

As Lord Adsum mentioned in the aforementioned thread, I believe the HoloNet Transmissions, Contractor's Board, Brainstorm and Planning, and Interest checks are time sensitive. HoloNet Transmissions and the Contractor's Board are framed through the in-character/in-universe HoloNet, hence my reasoning for combining them under the appropriately named module. Likewise, Interest Checks and Classifieds are there to garner support, but don't necessarily have time to receive the attention/exposure they need amidst a slew of replies that are featured in the catch-all Latest Threads module.

As a starting point, we will be voting on my proposal. If further discussion is required, then we will have that discussion. Once again, keep in mind that these changes are designed to continuously improve the overall browsing experience on the EBHawk. Not everyone will share the same preferences/interests as you do, and it is important to understand that there needs to be give and take, and compromise from everyone. So, be nice.
Yes, implement the proposed side-bar module changes
0 votes
0%
Kinda/Sorta. Discuss/Propose different side-bar module organization/feeds
0 votes
0%
No, do not implement the proposed side-bar module changes
0 votes
0%
Indifferent
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Posted Apr 27, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 27, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Neutral
I'm good with anything. The site isn't hard to navigate to find other things I may want to see regularly.
Luni_new_sig2_zps991f7af2.jpg
Guild Leader of Penumbral

patreon_luniara_button_zpsfqvgspte.png
❤ Exclusive WIPS/sketches/doodles and other art
❤ uncensored NSFW art
❤ High res downloads & wallpapers
❤ Free merch!
❤ Tutorials, Step-by-steps, resources (textures, PSDs, brushes, patterns), and tips
❤ Private livestreams, including doodle requests
❤ Front row seat to the creation of Tempest Oak & first access to all pages created
❤ LOVE!
Posted Apr 27, 16
Empire
I'm too dumb to figure out which vote I should vote for, so I'll just say: Time sensitive stuff to the top, not-so to the bottom. My personal order would be:

1. Classifieds / Interest Seeking
  2. Bounty Board / Holonet
  3. Latest Posts
  4. Latest journals

Edit: I'd also combine the Bounty Board and Holonet since the "spirit" of them is the same, and the Holonet doesn't receive new threads nearly as often as it has new posts -- and new threads are the only thing that post these up on these modules, I think.
Posted Apr 27, 16 · Last edited Apr 27, 16
Would switch order much the same as Gruu suggested.

• Login: displays user info and server status
  • Upcoming Events: self-explanatory
  • Looking For Interest (collapsible): features the newest threads in Brainstorm and Planning and The Classifieds.
  • HoloNet Feed (collapsible): features newest threads in HoloNet Transmissions and The Contractor's Board
  • Latest Threads (collapsible): features replies to all threads.

I personally do not use the contractors board nor read any of the journals so being able to see the events, folks looking for RP, and latest threads is of more interest to me but at the same time I feel the HoloNet feed & bounty board are popular enough not to get pushed to the bottom.
Posted Apr 27, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
I dunno, personally I like that journals are there. I find that I don't actually go into the journal forum unless I'm posting something, but if I see a journal in the side bar, maybe I'll click on it and give it a read.

Maybe it's not as time sensitive, but I think saying 'Journals barely gets posted in' is a fallacy. I see so many new journals each day. BARELY anybody posts classifieds, and if you compare the thread count on that forum to that of the Journal forum, you'll see Journals get more threads.

I'm not against the idea of adding a new box, but Classifieds and Event interest checks can already be seen in the 'Latest Threads' section on the sidebar. If you remove Journals from one of the collapsible modules, do you put Journals and Stories in the 'Latest Threads'? Well then it's gonna be even more cluttered with stuff. Or is the solution to never get an update when someone posts a journal? I think that's pretty shitty honestly.

EDIT: In fact, there are 351 TOTAL threads between both Classifieds AND Brainstorming and Planning, but 638 in just journals alone.
Posted Apr 28, 16 · Last edited Apr 28, 16
Republic
Is it that much to have an extra box of three threads?
Posted Apr 28, 16
Empire
wrote:

I'm not against the idea of adding a new box, but Classifieds and Event interest checks can already be seen in the 'Latest Threads' section on the sidebar.

This is true the problem is that often, things like an Interest check are knocked off the latest thread list by random postings about, art, someones RL pictures, a dev blog update etc before people even get to see them.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted Apr 28, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
wrote:

I'm not against the idea of adding a new box, but Classifieds and Event interest checks can already be seen in the 'Latest Threads' section on the sidebar.

This is true the problem is that often, things like an Interest check are knocked off the latest thread list by random postings about, art, someones RL pictures, a dev blog update etc before people even get to see them.
Like I said, if it gets its own dedicated box, I have no problem, but it already is in the Latest Thread section, when journals are not. If journals are removed, then they cannot be located on the side bar at all, unless Journals are moved to Latest Threads.

I suspect people would get annoyed of Journals being posted in 'Latest Threads' very quickly.
Posted Apr 28, 16 · Last edited Apr 28, 16
Vivek x
Banned users
As it stands, the Latest Threads and Latest Journals modules are updated by post-reply. The idea is that the new modules will be updated strictly by New Threads, but everything will be rolled back into Latest Threads, and thereby updated by post-replies. To that end, Journals will then begin showing up in Latest Threads as they are created/updated.
Posted Apr 29, 16 · OP
Empire
All I know is I come here to see the recent threads module which for some reason is at the bottom. I'd put that at the top and have the other modules beneath it. I mean, shouldn't threads of all types show up in latest threads? I'm not sure why we have to scroll wayyyyyyy down to see overall forum activity. If you don't participate in server events, the holonet, or bounty stuff there's a lot of scrolling involved just to see what the new discussion posts are.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Apr 29, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices