Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 12

Resolved [Suggestion] Forum Signature Size Limits: Part 2

107 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
As I mentioned near the start of voting, and based on the first poll's results, a second poll is required to determine which maximum size limit will be implemented. Although Option #2 was the most popular in the first poll, it is out of a common courtesy for those who voted 'No' or 'Indifferent' to choose their second best option; or after the discussion that has taken place thus far, allow someone to switch their vote.

For posterity's sake, here are the first poll's results, and the original post below that. The polling options remain unchanged, with the exception of 'No' being omitted.

No: 22
Indifferent: 4
Yes: 41

I am posting this suggestion on behalf of an EBHawk Community member. They wish to institute limits to the maximize size of forum signatures to reduce bloated forum posts while browsing threads. The images below represent select example sizes, as well as correspond to poll options.

Spoiler: Current EBHawk Signature ExamplesShow

Voting Options

k7S3SLr.png

SSiGm1C.png

UOkqblV.png

65uIidk.png
Indifferent
0 votes
0%
Yes, implement OPTION #1 as the max forum signature limit
0 votes
0%
Yes, implement OPTION #2 as the max forum signature limit
0 votes
0%
Yes, implement OPTION #3 as the max forum signature limit
0 votes
0%
Yes, implement OPTION #4 as the max forum signature limit
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Posted Apr 14, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 26, 16
Empire
AmT87yL.gif

Weird, I got that distance by screenshoting a post and taking the length of the grey divider between post and signature -- measured out to 845 pixels on the screen.

Edit: Nope, not sure what's going on but 845w fits perfect without any scaling on my screen.

Edit 2: Looking at screen of darling Prim's view of this thread, my sig does indeed scale a little bit for her. We're both using 1920x1080, so I'm not sure why Enjin as I see it is slightly different than how she sees it. Just a tiny bit off in the scaling -- whatever, my new sig is 150x700 :d

Edit 3: Nevermind, I'm literally the most stupid -- I've been using EBH @ 125% because I'm going blind / am blind.
Posted Apr 25, 16 · Last edited Apr 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
Daily bump.
Posted Apr 26, 16 · OP
Republic
I would like to submit that the people who suddenly have either super large signatures or animated signatures, who never had them before but now suddenly do after people in this thread have mentioned they don't like them, are in fact trolling. :/ I didn't have an issue with animated signatures before, but after seeing them used to be deliberately disruptive, I'd go along with the people who'd like to see them not allowed on the forum, as they are distracting in large numbers.
Posted Apr 26, 16 · Last edited Apr 26, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
choosing to have a signature within the confines of the space provided is no more trolling than people making suggestion threads to get the smallest things that bother them changed.

being part of a community is making concessions -- there's a size limitation going in as it is I mean choosing to use an animation is making the best of the limited space -- before I could have had a single, non-moving plate for each of the characters in my sig -- animation lets me fit the same amount of "info" into the smaller space.
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
The Passive Aggression against this topic is palpable.

On topic however, I personally agree with the forbidding of Animated Signatures, from a practical sense only. They're resource intensive in any quantity over 1 a webpage, they tank mobile browser speeds, and over the course of a month of browsing they can account for anywhere between a few hundred megabytes to several gigabytes depending on the number of folks with them and the frequency of their posts per page. That could be the difference between someone going over their ISP's Data limits (that's a thing for some folks) and not. Pixel sizes I don't mind, but I've disabled signatures all together.

Though the number of people who now have animated signatures, based on the statements of those who say they don't like them and the timing of their owner's acquiring of them , I agree, is blatant trolling, and it needs to be addressed.
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
wrote:
choosing to have a signature within the confines of the space provided is no more trolling than people making suggestion threads to get the smallest things that bother them changed.

Do keep in mind that the number of Suggestions, and the timing in which they are presented are fairly spaced out, and often require a poll. Yes, it only takes one person to instigate a poll, but if the Community feels one way or the other, it only requires simple vote to make their preferences clear. To the point of making concessions, that is precisely what happens when we vote and agree to the results -- they are never 100% favorable.

Though the number of people who now have animated signatures, based on the statements of those who say they don't like them and the timing of their owner's acquiring of them , I agree, is blatant trolling, and it needs to be addressed.

The surge of animated, obnoxiously large signatures, or ones that feature questionable content that have appeared since these polls were put up is blatant and apparent, but they will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. That being said, if further restrictions are required, I recommend putting up another poll (after this one has been concluded) or taking advantage of Beviin's suggestion:

wrote:
... Adblock truly is an amazing thing when it comes to sigs. People can have whatever they want as a sig, just as I can block whatever bothers me.
Posted Apr 26, 16 · OP
Donor
Neutral
Is there an option on enjin to make the signatures auto-resize to forum restrictions? Somewhat like images do when you post them?
Luni_new_sig2_zps991f7af2.jpg
Guild Leader of Penumbral

patreon_luniara_button_zpsfqvgspte.png
❤ Exclusive WIPS/sketches/doodles and other art
❤ uncensored NSFW art
❤ High res downloads & wallpapers
❤ Free merch!
❤ Tutorials, Step-by-steps, resources (textures, PSDs, brushes, patterns), and tips
❤ Private livestreams, including doodle requests
❤ Front row seat to the creation of Tempest Oak & first access to all pages created
❤ LOVE!
Posted Apr 27, 16
Empire
wrote:
Is there an option on enjin to make the signatures auto-resize to forum restrictions? Somewhat like images do when you post them?

They already do; see a few posts up where my signature was all scaled out of wack -- it'll resize the image to the max width.
Posted Apr 27, 16
Empire
The Passive Aggression against this topic is palpable.

On topic however, I personally agree with the forbidding of Animated Signatures, from a practical sense only. They're resource intensive in any quantity over 1 a webpage, they tank mobile browser speeds, and over the course of a month of browsing they can account for anywhere between a few hundred megabytes to several gigabytes depending on the number of folks with them and the frequency of their posts per page. That could be the difference between someone going over their ISP's Data limits (that's a thing for some folks) and not. Pixel sizes I don't mind, but I've disabled signatures all together.

If you are worried about signatures slowing down your load times simply because they are animated then you should probably just disable signatures period tbh, and the same applies to people who have data caps. Telling people they cant have animated signatures simply because someone who has a crappy computer or a data restricted ISP is too lazy to toggle the option to turn off signatures is frankly kind of ridiculous. Why don't we get even more restrictive and demand everyone post in haiku because one person on the forums prefers to read Haiku to normal text?

Adding constant random restrictions to things when there are already tools for people who don't like those things to avid them in place is just stupid and gets into the point of favoring certain peoples opinions over others which is a really dumb idea for a community that already has enough issue with people constantly yelling that they are ostracized or that the community doesn't care about them.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted Apr 27, 16
Page
of 12
NoticeNotices