Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 2

Resolved [Suggestion] Up Top Event Carousel

13 replies
Empire
We should have an event Carousel up at the top -- events that are found to meet all criteria for posting (complete time, date etc etc -- imagine a "Wiki candidate for "awesome article") can have a poster made by Art Team or me or whoever that fits the sizing and to go up on the Carousel.

Oh, what's a carousel -- it's some images that rotate or fade or whatever at the top of the page. They're neat cause they load up on the page like it currently does -- with the EBH Community logo first -- and then fades over time into other images.

You can see an example of one running here: www.ImperialNewsNetwork.com

I'd be glad to modify and donate this code (without my session token this time) to the top and help making/getting images set for use on the Carousel.
Yes, add a rotating Carousel to the top of the website
0 votes
0%
Indifferent
0 votes
0%
No, do not add a rotating Carousel to the top of the website
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Posted Mar 12, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 26, 16
Vivek x
Banned users
Edited Poll options. Please re-vote accordingly.
Posted Mar 12, 16
Neutral
As a mobile phone user to the forms sometimes, I have a question about the reloading graphic. Will it lag out load times and such?
Posted Mar 12, 16
Empire
@Daniele I've never used this site on mobile; do they have the mobile browser turned on? (When you load up, do you see the full site or not?)

It won't affect the mobile site whatsoever, so no there. I'd say the performance is negligible. It uses a fade-effect which could cause lag on a very low end / not a smartphone.

The loading of images themselves are only as laggy as the size of the images -- if they're JPG and ~20KB, it'd be negligible. Also, all images are loaded when the page first loads so there wouldn't be any "loading lag" as the images came up.

As far as the additional size of the images; six images (which seems like a lot; I'd expect more like 2-3 to be in use here) comes out to ~200kb which is not much considering the ebhawk.enjin.com frontpage is about 7MB in total.
Posted Mar 12, 16 · OP
Empire
Basically, to expand as I didn't so well in the beginning in my excitement: The graphic would be set to a much slower rotation than you see it on my page; perhaps 10-20 seconds per frame. You'd have any large events coming up with posters up there that would just fade over time. The idea would be to increase exposure to upcoming, fully fleshed out and interesting events.

You can check my site (www.ImperialNewsNetwork.com) to see if the effect causes any lag or problems for your device.
Posted Mar 12, 16 · OP
Empire
Just to spam my thread a little more: I took some performance tests with and without the carousel. Keep in mind I'm running twice the number of images I imagine this site would be using.

With:Page size
3.5MB
Load time
2.73s
Requests
Perf. grade
74/100

Without: Page size
1.0MB
Load time
2.71s
Requests
Perf. grade
74/100
Posted Mar 12, 16 · OP
Developer
Donor
Neutral
Not a fan of dynamic content, personally, and certainly not where the page logo should be. Maybe somewhere else, but definitely not there.
Posted Mar 12, 16
Empire
Dakhath
What if you rigged it so that the EBH Logo remained in place all the time, and details / minigraphics loade up in the immense wasted space on either side of it? Similar to how, in my images, the "Imperial News Network" text stays static (except the main logo frame).
Posted Mar 12, 16 · OP
Developer
Donor
Neutral
Lord Adsum : Nah, I still wouldn't like it there. Dynamic content should not be the focal point on a page. I realize that's a difference in design preferences, but I just don't care for it. It makes things look cluttered, especially when the graphics being used don't mesh well with the rest of the site's layout or they're just unprofessional. And yes, that would be a problem if people submit their own images.

Besides, with the calendar portion of the page, this seems superfluous at best and outright irritating at worst.

I see why you think it'd be a good idea and for your own site it works, but I don't think it's a good fit for this particular case.
Posted Mar 12, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
I can see where it would look cluttered. Except the page is naturally so damn long, I'd say throw it at the bottom or something. For the record, A++ discourse would argue again
Posted Mar 12, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 2
NoticeNotices