Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 3

Resolved [Feedback] The HoloTracker

25 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
About a year ago, I created the Port Authority & Planetary Security chat box in the hopes of creating a tool that would be beneficial to role players. I like to think it's been a relative success, but just to make sure, I'd appreciate your feedback. Before that though, here's a quick refresher on its mechanics!

Out-of-Character

A tool to broadcast your availability and approach-ability when role playing in a public or semi-public location. And by building up an in-character premise around it, made it easier for any type of character to drop in without a super-sophisticated-hook.

In-Character

An app or built-in feature of all datapads. Originally, it would feed public notifications posted by the Port Authority or select planetary security organizations, but under the 'HoloTracker' it's increased its range by incorporating rumors and Facebook/Twitter-esque location notifications. Regardless of whichever avenue the information comes from, so long as it's relatively publicly accessible/believable, it'll make it onto the feed that virtually anyone in the Galaxy with a datapad has access to.

Other Notes

Although it was never explicitly mentioned before, I do want to clarify that the HoloTracker should not be used to broadcast "rumors" designed to jump start in-game plots/conflict. Keep in mind that the HoloTracker was created to be a way for role players to connect through a very simple hook -- any more complicated than that and I'm afraid it will undermine the spirit and intention of the HoloTracker.

I created a custom channel (/cjoin HoloTracker) to serve as the in-game version of the HoloTracker because not everyone likes to alt+tab into the website, or whatever.

As per the updated rules to the Contractor's Board, Characters with contracts are kindly asked to restrict their notifications to planet and instance, rather than specific locations; we still need to make it a challenge for participating hunters.

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask what your thoughts on regarding the HoloTracker. Is it helpful? Are the rules surrounding it too restrictive? Do you like the ability to collapse it to save space? Do you use the in-game custom channel? I'd greatly appreciate knowing what's working and what's not.
Yes, I like the HoloTracker as is.
0 votes
0%
Kind of, I think there is room for improvement.
0 votes
0%
Indifferent. I don't use the HoloTracker, but it doesn't bother me.
0 votes
0%
No, I don't like, nor use the HoloTracker in any capacity.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Posted Jan 24, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 26, 16
Neutral
I like this feature! I use it! I use the in-game channel too!

As far as the rules about what to post to it, I think the reminder to make sure there's enough information to find someone is just enough as far as moderation goes. It should remind people (hopefully) that the more accurate the information they provide, the easier it will be for others to find them. Beyond that, if they choose to be vague or not give enough information, it's on them that no one can find them.
40c8aa27ef6d024f.png
Posted Jan 26, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
Personally I think people should be able to make entries as vague as they like regarding appearance/who it is for the IC portion. I like to think the holotracker is from another's perspective. However I do agree that the OOC portion needs to be clear, so that other players know who they are looking for.

That's the gist of it, yeah, but I do feel it's worth mentioning that the IC portion is somewhat important because this is where your hooks come into play. I imagine Character's would be less interested in a "hooded figure" on Nar Shaddaa, where hooded figures are commonplace, as opposed to something more identifiable. If someone has been meaning to speak to Vivek, but unsure how to reach him outside of his personal holocom, then it's to our mutual benefit to make that clear to both the Player (OOC information) as well as the interested Character (IC information).

At any rate, I don't think the "micro-management" applies to IC information so much as it does to the OOC information.
Posted Jan 26, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
Bumping!

A few clarifications:

• For those who mentioned increasing the HoloTracker's size, Enjin features presets; the next size up would be the same size as the General Chat Box. Would that be acceptable or unacceptable? Keep in mind, it can still be collapsed.

• As far as micromanagement, I only do so for two primary reasons: (1) to remind people to display all of the necessary information for people to find you, and (2) for new people who don't understand it, and unintentionally hurt themselves because no one can actually find them. Sure, I could ease up for the sake of those who know or those who do use it on a regular basis, but what do we do about newer folks? I'm sure gentle bumps in the right direction would do the trick, but if they're new to a community, I'm sure the last thing they'd want is to "feel embarrassed" for making a mistake in "public." I know, it's a weird thing to bring up, but you'd be surprised by the people who freak when you send them a random "hello" on their wall, PM, or IM -- one can only imagine if you're messaging them to tell them they may have done something wrong.

• Stemming off the micromanagement, people have mentioned reducing the criteria. Does that mean putting in the alt+code accents into the IC name, so others can copy-paste, instead of actually displaying the alt+code in parenthesis? Does that mean not including the Faction? Just looking for clarification on what it should look like, ideally, to balance broadcasting and ease of use.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, who usees the in-game custom channel?
Posted Jan 28, 16 · OP · Last edited Jan 28, 16
Donor
Neutral
Increasing the size would cause it to take up more of the website, making things longer. The size for a non-chat box is perfect in my opinion. There is a scroll function and the feature itself is not constantly updated like the chatbox.

Reminders are crucial for newer individuals who may have 0 idea what that feature is for right off the bat.

With the in-game custom channel, I keep meaning to use it. I forget to join but I aim to start.
Luni_new_sig2_zps991f7af2.jpg
Guild Leader of Penumbral

patreon_luniara_button_zpsfqvgspte.png
❤ Exclusive WIPS/sketches/doodles and other art
❤ uncensored NSFW art
❤ High res downloads & wallpapers
❤ Free merch!
❤ Tutorials, Step-by-steps, resources (textures, PSDs, brushes, patterns), and tips
❤ Private livestreams, including doodle requests
❤ Front row seat to the creation of Tempest Oak & first access to all pages created
❤ LOVE!
Posted Jan 28, 16
Developer
Donor
Neutral
I don't use the in-game channel, because there is a limit to how many custom channels you can join. I just don't have room for it.
Posted Jan 28, 16
Vivek x
Banned users
Morning bump. Two days left to vote and provide your feedback.
Posted Jan 29, 16 · OP
Vivek x
Banned users
The poll has closed! The thread will remain open for one week for further discussion.

As per the poll results, the HoloTracker will remain unchanged, both in size and function. However, it seems there was a fair amount of comments regarding the administration of the HoloTracker. Therefore, entries will no longer be deleted, and the reminder will emphasize the HoloTracker's purpose; if someone is not receiving the attention they are looking for, it will be their responsibility to reevaluate their entries.
Posted Jan 31, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices