Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 3

Resolved [Feedback] The HoloTracker

25 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
About a year ago, I created the Port Authority & Planetary Security chat box in the hopes of creating a tool that would be beneficial to role players. I like to think it's been a relative success, but just to make sure, I'd appreciate your feedback. Before that though, here's a quick refresher on its mechanics!

Out-of-Character

A tool to broadcast your availability and approach-ability when role playing in a public or semi-public location. And by building up an in-character premise around it, made it easier for any type of character to drop in without a super-sophisticated-hook.

In-Character

An app or built-in feature of all datapads. Originally, it would feed public notifications posted by the Port Authority or select planetary security organizations, but under the 'HoloTracker' it's increased its range by incorporating rumors and Facebook/Twitter-esque location notifications. Regardless of whichever avenue the information comes from, so long as it's relatively publicly accessible/believable, it'll make it onto the feed that virtually anyone in the Galaxy with a datapad has access to.

Other Notes

Although it was never explicitly mentioned before, I do want to clarify that the HoloTracker should not be used to broadcast "rumors" designed to jump start in-game plots/conflict. Keep in mind that the HoloTracker was created to be a way for role players to connect through a very simple hook -- any more complicated than that and I'm afraid it will undermine the spirit and intention of the HoloTracker.

I created a custom channel (/cjoin HoloTracker) to serve as the in-game version of the HoloTracker because not everyone likes to alt+tab into the website, or whatever.

As per the updated rules to the Contractor's Board, Characters with contracts are kindly asked to restrict their notifications to planet and instance, rather than specific locations; we still need to make it a challenge for participating hunters.

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask what your thoughts on regarding the HoloTracker. Is it helpful? Are the rules surrounding it too restrictive? Do you like the ability to collapse it to save space? Do you use the in-game custom channel? I'd greatly appreciate knowing what's working and what's not.
Yes, I like the HoloTracker as is.
0 votes
0%
Kind of, I think there is room for improvement.
0 votes
0%
Indifferent. I don't use the HoloTracker, but it doesn't bother me.
0 votes
0%
No, I don't like, nor use the HoloTracker in any capacity.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Posted Jan 24, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 26, 16
Developer
Donor
Neutral
wrote:
'Khel has been spotted on the promenade, NS instance 1' is helpful.

If that isn't the in game name, it's not at all helpful if I want to whisper or check to see if the poster is still out there. Including the in-game name takes no time to do, and I say that as someone who has alt codes in my main's name.
Posted Jan 24, 16
Donor
Empire
I... can't believe I'm saying this...

But the micromanaging when it comes to making sure names (with alt codes~!) is actually a good thing.

So things are pretty cool as they are, though I think the "rule bot" can be done a bit less.
kDsd5vl.png
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Maybe do something like: Baro (Bàrdodododo) has been seen on Nar Shadaa (Instance 1).
ejgaib.jpg
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Not that I've found myself using it, but if people aren't able to track your character down in-game, it entirely defeats the purpose of the holotracker. So, based on that, people should be expected (and micromanaged if necessary), to utilize it correctly by posting their full character names, strange characters and all.
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
Daily bump.
Posted Jan 25, 16 · OP
Contractor's Board
Donor
Empire
My keyboard is funky and doesn't allow me to type alt-code characters with it. As long as people include the alt-code itself and not just the alt-code character, it shouldn't be that big an issue to find them. I'm not a fan of micro-managing.
2624936.jpg
Forum Sig by Lesatho
Texal Legacy Tumblr
Posted Jan 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
VIVEK, I am derp-tastic and I clicked option 2 when I meant 1!!

Sorry!
Posted Jan 25, 16
Contractor's Board
Donor
Neutral
Same as Rax. As long as people give us enough information to check they're still about and good to RP via whispers, then it should work fine. I like it and I've used it plenty.
Posted Jan 25, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Personally I think people should be able to make entries as vague as they like regarding appearance/who it is for the IC portion. I like to think the holotracker is from another's perspective. However I do agree that the OOC portion needs to be clear, so that other players know who they are looking for.
Posted Jan 26, 16
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices