Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 3

Resolved [Feedback] The HoloTracker

25 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
About a year ago, I created the Port Authority & Planetary Security chat box in the hopes of creating a tool that would be beneficial to role players. I like to think it's been a relative success, but just to make sure, I'd appreciate your feedback. Before that though, here's a quick refresher on its mechanics!

Out-of-Character

A tool to broadcast your availability and approach-ability when role playing in a public or semi-public location. And by building up an in-character premise around it, made it easier for any type of character to drop in without a super-sophisticated-hook.

In-Character

An app or built-in feature of all datapads. Originally, it would feed public notifications posted by the Port Authority or select planetary security organizations, but under the 'HoloTracker' it's increased its range by incorporating rumors and Facebook/Twitter-esque location notifications. Regardless of whichever avenue the information comes from, so long as it's relatively publicly accessible/believable, it'll make it onto the feed that virtually anyone in the Galaxy with a datapad has access to.

Other Notes

Although it was never explicitly mentioned before, I do want to clarify that the HoloTracker should not be used to broadcast "rumors" designed to jump start in-game plots/conflict. Keep in mind that the HoloTracker was created to be a way for role players to connect through a very simple hook -- any more complicated than that and I'm afraid it will undermine the spirit and intention of the HoloTracker.

I created a custom channel (/cjoin HoloTracker) to serve as the in-game version of the HoloTracker because not everyone likes to alt+tab into the website, or whatever.

As per the updated rules to the Contractor's Board, Characters with contracts are kindly asked to restrict their notifications to planet and instance, rather than specific locations; we still need to make it a challenge for participating hunters.

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask what your thoughts on regarding the HoloTracker. Is it helpful? Are the rules surrounding it too restrictive? Do you like the ability to collapse it to save space? Do you use the in-game custom channel? I'd greatly appreciate knowing what's working and what's not.
Yes, I like the HoloTracker as is.
0 votes
0%
Kind of, I think there is room for improvement.
0 votes
0%
Indifferent. I don't use the HoloTracker, but it doesn't bother me.
0 votes
0%
No, I don't like, nor use the HoloTracker in any capacity.
0 votes
0%
Number of voters: 0
Posted Jan 24, 16 · OP · Last edited Oct 26, 16
Empire
It is a nice thing for setting up bounties.

It is not my thing, but I think it can be a useful feature.
w40k%20player.jpg
Posted Jan 24, 16
Republic
Personally I would get rid of the Vivek Bot that spams the box with the big set of rules every few hours and just let it self manage. There is always going to be people who don't bother reading the rules who use it. Just assume that the majority of us who use it on a daily basis know whats up.I like the idea of rumours and such more then advanced Tech spotting people and updating things. Rumours and call outs seem much more Star Warsy to me.

Other then that I would just extend its size just a hair more. It annoys me when you can only see the last 2 1/2 listings on a busy night.
p5EFBTv.jpg
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
I like the holotracker as-is, BUT, without micro-managing. So someone leaves out a î or the code for it, it is not the end of the world. Appreciate that it's being used at all. Threatening to delete imperfect entries is micromanaging and unnecessary.
a8b1cffe64a362ac.png
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
There's been several times, where I've gone out to find characters- and didn't find anyone their because the description was so vague on their unnamed mysterious toon: A Mando in a bar, wearing a suit. Or they hadn't put that they left. The point being you're advertising for RP, and I am supposed to easily find you to engage in that. I think that's the point that people are missing, and that's what Vivek's trying to facilitate. You're making yourself available- be easy to find.
Posted Jan 24, 16 · Last edited Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
I like it, and I like that Vivek reminds people of the rules periodically. "This random masked person was on Nar Shaddaa" doesn't help me even a little, and maybe I'm just lazy, but I'm in no hurry to go looking if that's all that's posted. Similarly, I like that we're encouraged to include correct spellings and alt codes; it means that if for some reason I want to whisper someone to see if they're still around or something, I can.
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
I don't understand why this is a big deal. "Here's how you use the tracker, it's to facilitate people finding you for RP." If you can't be bothered to follow the, IMO simple, rules, then just don't use it? Putting an entry in there without the character name and correct spelling (so people can shoot you a quick message in order to make sure you're still there) kind of defeats part of the purpose of making yourself available and easy to find. Half the time the box is full of incomplete or inaccurate entries--purging them makes the complete ones more visible; and I personally wouldn't want the box all that much bigger.

Just my 2 cents and before anyone gets pants in a knot, I use alt codes in my own character names too so let's not assume I'm on a witch hunt for filthy alt code users. :p
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
I don't mind the reminder. Everyone these days seems to have a different IC name compared to what their toon is named, so it's nice to have that reminder there to include your IC name as well. I mean my understanding is the point of the holotracker is to bring more people together right? If I don't know who I'm looking for, I'm not going to go to that place.

It would be nice if it was a bit bigger as well, especially with the random spam reminder bot.
GzrkY.gif
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
If you're looking for it to be a bit larger, join that chat channel. See the chat icon on the bottom left on the page here? It follows you as you scroll. Click that, then click "HoloTracker" under Site Channels. You can minimize it just like any other chat window on Enjin, and it'll show you when there are new messages there if you just want to check it every now and then.
Posted Jan 24, 16
Republic
I completely agree that 'random masked person is somewhere on Nar Shaddaa' is absolutely not helpful.

'Khel has been spotted on the promenade, NS instance 1' is helpful.
a8b1cffe64a362ac.png
Posted Jan 24, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 3
NoticeNotices