Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Resolved Suggestion: Managing Forum Warfare

8 replies
Empire
Hi,

I've always been a fan of letting the flames burn themselves out on a good internet argument. I noticed a thread get wrist-slapped earlier, and I thought it would be neat if those people defending their honor or what have you could continue their battle, unseen by the general population, and with more veracity.

So, I'm sayin' -- Create a Subforum somewhere called WARROOM or BATTLE SQUARE or something funny, and create an Invisible/Hidden tag that gives access to it (as well as moderators, obviously). Whenever a thread starts turning into a flung-shit-show, simply tag all users relevant to the discussion. There should be a Popup Notice for that Tag (dismissed on User action) that shows up:

"You've been tagged for the War Room, you bad boy! Your discussion on the normal forum got a little heated, so you've been invited to take it to a quieter area."

In that forum, you can disable Likes, Votes, Replies-adding-to-post-count, and all kinds of fun features. The arguers can solve their problems (or at least grind against each other until everything's smooth), and the general population doesn't have to se the bullshit.

Further, you'd be about the coolest mod-team this side of a forum.

PS: Also include a thread for people who want in on the War Room 24/7? Teehee.
Posted Oct 23, 15 · OP · Last edited Oct 26, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
This is actually an amazing idea, lol.

Or... when a thread gets massively derailed, just move all the related posts to a thread just for this p urpose called "This is why we can't have nice things"
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Oct 23, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
We'd need a Big Board too.
Posted Oct 23, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
So long as the entire thread wasn't lost by doing so, I've got nothing against this. No reason to nuke an entire discussion or potentially useful thread for people just because some people can't play nice.
Posted Oct 23, 15
Empire
I would suggest that the Moderator in question creates a thread with a duplicate title to the old ones, tags the people involved with the thread/arguing, and the system handles the rest from there.

Threads in certain forums can be auto-locked and even moved to a yet-another-invisible-sub-forum-for-moderators when so long has passed since the last post -- these Warfare threads will even clean up after themselves!
Posted Oct 23, 15 · OP
Empire
What's interesting to note is that I've seen a lot of forums with open moderation where disagreements pop up. It starts super heated but more often than not burns itself out. People often either start to see each other's points of view and realize they aren't really that different, or they agree to disagree.

While I can understand shutting things down from the perspective of wanting to preserve a derailed thread, it doesn't really do a whole lot to remove hostilities which is why they often pop up between the same people in the future.

There's also a big difference between super personal insulting drama/harassment, and "drama" surrounding different RP views. I don't think the RP debates should be hit with a sledgehammer.
Posted Oct 23, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Six
Neutral
At the same time, I think keeping punishments for straight up unwarranted dickery would be a good thing. RP arguments are one thing, calling someone Hitler because they think Sith should be xenophobic or whatever are another entirely. Being a dick shouldn't go unwarned.

can the like buttons in the forum be changed to popcorn buckets tho
Posted Oct 23, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Oh yeah, I definitely agree with that. I think there's productive arguments and destructive ones. (And I'm not saying I've never made bad comments, but 99% of any "heated" debate I'm involved in is about RP, not OOC people.)
Posted Oct 23, 15
Developer
Donor
Neutral
Yeah, really not a fan of this idea. The biggest reason I left the other community forum was because there just wasn't any moderation. Not in the chat box, and not in the forums. That may have changed since I moved over here, but I doubt I'm the only one who likes the moderation.

People already have the option to discuss things privately. Mods already tell people to take things to PMs. It's not that they don't have a place to discuss things; they just aren't inclined to. I don't see how giving people a special subforum to bicker in would change anything.
Posted Oct 23, 15
NoticeNotices