The Ebon Hawk Contractors Board
Intelligence & Investigations

The Client needs to learn more about a Mark. The Client will proceed to post a classified Intel Contract on the Mark, discreetly notifying any willing Private Investigators - Private Eyes - across the galaxy. The Ebon Hawk Intel Board recognizes two types of Intel Contracts that players can engage in: Spy Contracts and Investigation Contracts.

Spy Contract

The Player posts a reward for tracking and gathering intelligence data on their own character(s). All Spy Contract interaction is to be conducted and determined by a standard d20 (/roll 20) dice system. Rewards are "RP credits" by default, though actual in-game rewards (e.g. credits, weapons, armor, mounts, items) are completely optional and encouraged.

Investigation Contract

A Player posts a reward for tracking and gathering intelligence data on another Player's character. Investigation Contracts can only be carried out by a standard d20 (/roll 20) dice system, and rewards are strictly "RP credits." Additionally, the Marked Player must be immediately notified of the Contract posted on their character(s), and must confirm or deny their approval as a post-reply or PM to the Contractor Board's moderators. Denied Contracts will have their threads immediately locked, and will not be available for completion. Investigation Contracts are subject to Moderator scrutiny to resolve conflicts that may arise.

How Do I Post an Intel Contract?

Every Intel Contract must be its own thread, tagged with either '[Spy]' or '[Investigate]' based on the contract type, and must contain the following template for the sake of clarity and uniformity. Additional information and graphics are optional and encouraged. THE TOTALITY OF REWARDS CANNOT EXCEED 1,000,000 Credits.

Copy+Paste entire template. Replace Caps with the appropriate information.
Quote:

[size=6]SPY CONTRACT or INVESTIGATION CONTRACT[/size]

[highlight=#761413][b]TRACK & DOCUMENT[/b][/highlight]
[highlight=#761413][b]Target:[/b] CHARACTER IN-GAME NAME + IC FACTION ((IN-GAME FACTION HERE))[/highlight]
[INDENT][highlight=#761413][b]Persons Of Interest:[/b] CHARACTER IN-GAME NAME + FRIEND/FOE (CHOOSE ONE)[/highlight][/INDENT]
[highlight=#761413][b]Suspicion Meter Threshold:[/b][/highlight] CHOOSE A NUMBER 1-20 AND DETERMINE HOW MANY ADJACENT NUMBERS ARE REASONABLY CONSIDERED 'BUFFS' TO THAT NUMBER

[b]Reason:[/b] IN-CHARACTER REASONS FOR CONTRACT
[indent][highlight=#761413][b]Desired Intel:[/b][/highlight][list] [*]IN-CHARACTER LIST OF SPECIFIC INTEL TO BE GATHERED[/list][/indent]

[highlight=#761413][b]Reward:[/b][/highlight] CREDIT AMOUNT (IN-GAME CREDITS / RP-CREDITS / ADDITIONAL REWARDS)
[highlight=#761413][b]Bonus Reward:[/b][/highlight] OPTIONAL BONUS REWARDS
[indent][b]Bonus Conditions:[/b] OPTIONAL BONUS REWARDS CONDITIONS[/indent]

[b]Client:[/b] CLIENT'S NAME (INCLUDE IN-GAME NAME IF APPLICABLE)

[b]Additional Information:[/b]
[indent]ANY OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE TARGET[/indent]

[rule]

[b]Out-of-Character Information:[/b]
[indent]SPECIFIED CONDITIONS AND OTHER NUANCES YOU WISH TO BE MADE CLEAR REGARDING THE CONTRACT.[/indent]

How Do I Complete the Contract?

Any character, regardless of level, may undertake any Intel Contract posted. How, when, and where a Private Eye tracks and documents a Mark is entirely up to them, following the Client's guidelines along the way. Private Eyes must accomplish their job against the Mark with as much stealth as possible, raising as little Suspicion as possible, to successfully complete the Intel Contract.

As a P.I., your primary weapons are your holo-camera (screenshots), your cunning, slicing tools, and your notebook.

• Unless agreed upon by all parties, all general rules must be adhered to. Failure to do so will result in being placed on the Contractor Board's Blacklist.

• Private Eyes are not required to disclose that they have accepted the contract (The Player can, but they do not have to list which character they will be using; A simple 'I accept' reply will suffice).

• Private Eyes cannot refuse combat after they have been Discovered. P.I.'s can attempt to bribe, talk their way out, or flat-out surrender to the Mark with no resistance, but once a Mark initiates combat, the P.I. is obligated to see it through.

• Marks may flee at any time, even after Discovering a Private Eye. This is considered a free action with no rolls required.

• Private Eyes may flee at any time prior to Discovery, but suffer all Intel loss, must wait 24-hours before attempting the Contract again, and Spy Checks against them are restored following the 24-hour period. This is considered a free action with no rolls required.

• If real rewards are involved, Clients must pay it to successful Private Eyes.

• Private Eyes cannot "team up" or pool gathered intelligence.

• Discovered Private Eyes must wait 24-hours before they can attempt the Contract again and if they are Defeated in combat they lose all their Intel. Spy Checks against them are restored following the 24-hour period.

• Looking up a Mark's dossier for information is forbidden and can be considered cheating and/or meta-gaming unless permission is granted through the contract details or if certain conditions are met during the course of the Contract.

• The results (success or failure) of each attempt must be reported to the corresponding thread with their 'evidence' screenshots.

Suspicion Meter / Spy Checks

Standard d20 (/roll 20) Dice System

• The Client can set the Suspicion Meter to any number between 1-20. That number is reasonably "buffed" by adjacent numbers.

• If the Mark witnesses certain actions and believes that he is being spied on, the suspect(s) can be singled out and the Mark conducts a random Spy Check.

• The Suspected Private Eye(s) will Group with the Mark (if applicable) and will roll against the contract's Suspicion Meter. The closer they land to the threshold number, the greater the suspicion.

• If the P.I. passes, they are dropped from the Group until the next Spy Check. If a P.I. fails, the Mark can sweat them further with another Spy Check if they choose to do so.

• Only (5) Spy Checks are available to Marks per each suspected P.I. and cannot be restored once used.

• Spy Checks cannot be spammed within a reasonable amount of time (unless a P.I. failed one and the Mark grills them).

• If a Private Eye fails 3/5 Spy Checks, they are Discovered and will be at the Mark's mercy. After the 5th Spy Check, if the P.I. was not Discovered, they are granted additional Intel freely.

• It is the responsibility of the Players to truthfully and honestly report Rolls accurately. If Rolls are contested, Players must submit screenshots to validate their rolls; failure to do so will invalidate the encounter. Continued failure to submit screenshots of encounters may result in the offending Player being placed on the Contractor's Board's Blacklist.

Combat

Standard d20 (/roll 20) Dice System

• A Private Eye must first be Discovered by the Mark before any combat can be initiated.

• Private Eyes begin with 4 HP - Marks begin with 6 HP. Reducing an opponent's HP to 0 results in that Player's defeat, and renders them incapacitated for the remainder of the encounter.

• If the Mark is Defeated, the P.I. can escape with whatever Intel they gathered prior to being Discovered.

• Combat begins after an initiative roll between both parties.

• If both Players roll 20, the Defending Player wins. Otherwise, both Players must re-roll in the event of a tie.

• If the attacking Player rolls 20, they critically hit the target for 2 HP.

• There are no critical failures for rolls of 1.

• The Private Eye is allotted one escape attempt per encounter, which counts as a turn:
    - Rolling 17-20 results in the P.I. making a clean escape with whatever Intel they gathered up to that point, ending the encounter.
    - Rolling 12-16 results in the P.I. escaping, but they lose some of their Intel in doing so (what is lost is up to the Mark).
    - Rolling 11 or below results in a failure to escape, and the P.I. must continue combat without another chance of escape.

• It is the responsibility of the Players to truthfully and honestly report Rolls accurately. If Rolls are contested, Players must submit screenshots to validate their rolls; failure to do so will invalidate the encounter. Continued failure to submit screenshots of encounters may result in the offending Player being placed on the Contractor's Board's Blacklist.

Free Form RP Combat

There are no defined rules for the use of Free Form RP to settle engagements, but if all participating Players agree to their own, self-written terms, then the Contractor Board will honor the reported outcome. However, in the event of any disputes between Players, the Contractor's Board will refer to the rules and conditions specified in the listed Contract, and therefore, reports will be dismissed accordingly.

Additional Mechanics

Persons Of Interest

Spoiler: Show

Remote Data Slicing

Bonus Rewards and Conditions

Frequently Asked Questions

Are these Contracts real?

Yes and no. Out-of-Character, for all intents and purposes, the Contracts are real as far as the rules, conditions, participation, and rewards are concerned. If there are real rewards attached, the Player is expected to pay the successful Contractor -- so do not post contracts you cannot afford. In-character, the choice is yours. The Contractor Board was redesigned with role play in mind, and players are encouraged to use it as a platform to facilitate or jump start in-character interactions between characters.

Since the PI has 5 chances to get intel, and a bonus for hitting all five rolls, am I expected to have six bits of evidence that I need to say/emote/whatever as a Mark?

For the most part yes; alternatively, they can be 6 fragments of one whole piece of evidence. It doesn't all have to be revealed in one go, but it's an option depending on desired intel contract length.

Do the FRIEND/FOE tags mean a Person of Interest is the Mark's Friend or Foe?

FRIEND indicates the person is of a friendly disposition; they are more likely to talk to a PI. A FOE is more likely to be hostile towards a PI.

v.1.0
All Rules are subject to change; All Contracts are subject to the Contractors Board moderators scrutiny.