Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 11

Resolved Self-Deletion of Posts/Thread Redux

91 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
In light of Gruuvan's clarifiction in the "[suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads" thread, with regards to how the poll question was originally proposed, this thread will represent a formal revision of the poll question to better define the topic: Should Users be Allowed to Delete their Own Threads and Posts?

Warning
Before you vote, I would like to make clear a few technical stipulations and limitations imposed by Enjin:

• Self-Deleted threads and posts are forum-wide, and cannot be regulated to specific forum boards or sub-forums.

• If the Original Poster deletes a thread that was replied to, only the first post will be deleted, and all post-replies will remain intact. Therefore, the actual thread will not be deleted, if it was replied to.

• If a post is edited or deleted, the action will be logged in the Forum Logs in Enjin's Administrative Dashboard (viewable only to Administrators and Moderators), but the content will be lost without the option for recovery. Content modification history is reserved for websites with Enjin's Ultimate Plan; EH Community has the Advanced Plan, and therefore cannot keep a detail record of content modifications.
Yes, Users should be able to delete their own posts.
38 votes
47.5%
Indifferent.
5 votes
6.3%
No, Users should not be able to delete their own posts.
37 votes
46.3%
Number of voters: 80
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
I have no fucking idea why this has become an issue of 'hostility'. Tell me, in what way is a hostile shitposter (like myself) going to abuse the system by deleting a post they made? Who cares? How is it any different from hitting the edit button and typing 'Edit: nope'?

tbh whether or not you can delete your post, the same end is accomplished: You remove the content of the post, and no one can prove one way or the other what was there, because this site doesn't have Ultimate. I made the original poll because it sucks to be treated like a kid on forums that ask people to behave like adults.

If we're allowed to go nuts and post crazy shit everywhere, fine, make us ask nicely to get our posts deleted so mods can keep an eye on things. Remember, Enjin can also remove your ability to even EDIT your own posts if the Admins know the clever tag settings. Being able to delete your own posts does nothing but treat us a little bit more like adults.
Posted Sep 2, 15
Empire
nah
"What drives me is my anger, what guides me is my hope."
01c5921e60e16b4a.png
Posted Sep 2, 15
Untagged users
wrote:
Certain individuals deserve to be treated with hostility, as some cannot feel shame.

No amount of justification in the universe makes this comment okay. You can paint me to look like a hippy all you want, but I'd prefer to take the path that trusts the individual to be willing, and able to be mature and responsible. You don't want to trust anyone to be that way. That's all the difference is.

Seriously, you make me tired. I wasn't attepting to "portray" you as anything, other than perhaps a tad naive. My post was in response to your's, not an attack on you personally. If i chose to attack you personally, you'd know it. Get over yourself.

To the above person who singled me out, I am not talking about hostility, something which I had thought I had made clear. I am talking about abusiveness, which is not okay. Yes this is the internet. No, I am not saying "accountable" in the sense that I or anyone else has the right to punish another directly.

However, if you think abusive online relationships, "friendships" or RP partnerships cannot occur, then you are wrong. That is what I am suggesting be combatted through any means possible.

I don't give a rat's ass about name calling, someone having their feelings hurt, etc. It's not on my radar for this discussion. So while your call for freedom of expression on the internet and all that is nice, it's not what I was talking about.
e1f8e13771e44d90.png
Posted Sep 2, 15
Neutral
I had a more in depth post worded up before someone needed to use my computer... and closed my browser.

"Seriously, you make me tired. I wasn't attepting to "portray" you as anything, other than perhaps a tad naive. My post was in response to your's, not an attack on you personally. If i chose to attack you personally, you'd know it. Get over yourself."

I... didn't attack you? The 'paint me like a hippy' line was a summation. Now;

"If i chose to attack you personally, you'd know it. Get over yourself."

That's [EDIT]can be threatening followed by an expulsion, which is aggression.

Not gonna get over myself because as adult[EDIT]s we are better than reverting to childish tactics to moderate ourselves.

Onto your actual response; I was going to touch on abusiveness in that big post I lost.

What you're suggesting is to: Use abuse, to prevent people from being abusive. Humiliation, Shame, Expelling, Shit posting, Gossipping are all abusive behaviors that are Mob-oriented, and they're all horrible. That's why the Community doesn't moderate this forum -- the Moderators do.

Futhermore -- an abuser is not -ever- going to do so in public, so abusive relationships (regardless of the intimacy) are going to happen, regardless of whether or not someone can delete posts on a forum. Walls, Private Messages, Private Chats, Skype, TeamSpeak, Whispers. You can't control that. So the point made is completely pointless.

Preventing people from erasing their post is a completely separate issue -- that's not even your problem.

I know plenty about abuse -- probably more than you do in the Internet setting. I've been abused, been the abuser, been the side-liner, been the intervention, and watched more people than I can count on one hand getting it done to. Don't to presume to know someone else's experiences and it undermines someone's experiences with the topic, its just an assholeish thing to do.

And again, all of this comes down to Trust, which you seem incapable of putting in other people -- which I'd love to dig in and discuss with you but you'd probably blast me in the face for trying to help with.
Posted Sep 2, 15 · Last edited Sep 2, 15
Neutral
I had a more in depth post worded up before someone needed to use my computer... and closed my browser.

"Seriously, you make me tired. I wasn't attepting to "portray" you as anything, other than perhaps a tad naive. My post was in response to your's, not an attack on you personally. If i chose to attack you personally, you'd know it. Get over yourself."

I... didn't attack you? The 'paint me like a hippy' line was a summation. Now;

"If i chose to attack you personally, you'd know it. Get over yourself."

That's Threatening followed by an Expulsion, which is aggression.

Not gonna get over myself because an adult WE ARE BETTER THAN BEING CHILDREN.

Onto your actual response; I was going to touch on abusiveness in that big post I lost.

What you're suggesting is to: Use abuse, to prevent people from being abusive. Humiliation, Shame, Expelling, Shit posting, Gossipping are all abusive behaviors that are Mob-oriented, and they're all horrible. That's why the Community doesn't moderate this forum -- the Moderators do.

Futhermore -- an abuser is not -ever- going to do so in public, so abusive relationships (regardless of the intimacy) are going to happen, regardless of whether or not someone can delete posts on a forum. Walls, Private Messages, Private Chats, Skype, TeamSpeak, Whispers. You can't control that. So the point made is completely pointless.

Preventing people from erasing their post is a completely separate issue -- that's not even your problem.

I know plenty about abuse -- probably more than you do in the Internet setting. I've been abused, been the abuser, been the side-liner, been the intervention, and watched more people than I can count on one hand getting it done to. Don't to presume to know someone else's experiences and it undermines someone's experiences with the topic, its just an assholeish thing to do.

And again, all of this comes down to Trust, which you seem incapable of putting in other people -- which I'd love to dig in and discuss with you but you'd probably blast me in the face for trying to help with.

Tel-Raan knows more about trust and having trust abused than you know. I recommend stepping back and calming down.
Posted Sep 2, 15
Untagged users
I'd have to disagree with you there, Eve. And it really puts things into perspective I think.

I don't interpret what he said as threatening or an expulsion. Rather, I appreciated the bluntness. He was just stating that if he had something against you and wanted to attack you, which would be him calling you a name or something like that, you would in fact know it because he's a blunt and up front individual. As far as him saying "get over yourself" well that's just him saying get over yourself yo.

I say that to people I work with on a daily basis because sometimes people can come off as whining in my opinion. I'm not telling them to get out of my face or telling them to F**k off. I'm just saying yo, get over yourself. It's a term that to me typically means stop being one-sided or stop being narrow-minded. Which again isn't offensive or hostile in my mind. It's just his blunt matter of a fact way of telling you that he thinks you need to think outside of the box.

Anyway. Just thought I'd illustrate once again how things can be interpreted differently absent social queues that we usually have the ability to visually pick up on or can hear in another individual's tone of voice.
Posted Sep 2, 15
Neutral
Tel-Raan knows more about trust and having trust abused than you know. I recommend stepping back and calming down.

I am calm. Lack of tone of voice doesn't help it but I am. :)

And from the arguments he's made, the way he plays, it doesn't seem like he does. But further, the poll and the question -- really doesn't lend itself to that discussion.

Abuse will happen regardless of whether or not someone can delete a post or not, can be held accountable or not, can be publically shamed/ignored/recognized over it, and its no more a tool for an abuser than the edit function is. If its been used before -- its happenstance not proof.
Posted Sep 2, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
Now: the Ultimate Plan on Enjin costs $29.99 per month -- but it can be dropped all the way to 23.99 per month if paid in chunks.

Its the answer to the common ground here, and I'm willing to pitch in for 2 months every year I'm still around -- anyone willing to pick up some of the rest?
Posted Sep 2, 15 · Last edited Sep 2, 15
Six
Neutral
giphy.gif

I still voted yes because I'm a lazy asshole and there doesn't seem to be much difference functionally between edits and deletes. People can be dickbutts and then edit their stuff out. Abuse can be had one way or the other, or at least that's what I've gathered. So I'll pick the lazy asshole option because I am a dick.
Posted Sep 2, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices