Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 11

Resolved Self-Deletion of Posts/Thread Redux

91 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
In light of Gruuvan's clarifiction in the "[suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads" thread, with regards to how the poll question was originally proposed, this thread will represent a formal revision of the poll question to better define the topic: Should Users be Allowed to Delete their Own Threads and Posts?

Warning
Before you vote, I would like to make clear a few technical stipulations and limitations imposed by Enjin:

• Self-Deleted threads and posts are forum-wide, and cannot be regulated to specific forum boards or sub-forums.

• If the Original Poster deletes a thread that was replied to, only the first post will be deleted, and all post-replies will remain intact. Therefore, the actual thread will not be deleted, if it was replied to.

• If a post is edited or deleted, the action will be logged in the Forum Logs in Enjin's Administrative Dashboard (viewable only to Administrators and Moderators), but the content will be lost without the option for recovery. Content modification history is reserved for websites with Enjin's Ultimate Plan; EH Community has the Advanced Plan, and therefore cannot keep a detail record of content modifications.
Yes, Users should be able to delete their own posts.
38 votes
47.5%
Indifferent.
5 votes
6.3%
No, Users should not be able to delete their own posts.
37 votes
46.3%
Number of voters: 80
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Untagged users
I don't see why not. Wasn't a part of any aforementioned discussions regarding this topic, but if they want to delete something that they put up then let them delete. Sometimes people put their foots in their mouths and want to take stuff down. The alternative is going to be them editing their post and erasing it all anyway, then you just have a weird empty thread sitting around for no reason. Reduces clutter imo.

The down side is if it's an RP thread, I wouldn't be so keen on it because other people's content and story info is there, so if someone deletes the thread then that means other players who contributed to the RP are also losing content that they may value.

So maybe let them delete OOC threads, but not IC threads.
Posted Sep 1, 15
Vivek x
Banned users
I don't see why not. Wasn't a part of any aforementioned discussions regarding this topic, but if they want to delete something that they put up then let them delete. Sometimes people put their foots in their mouths and want to take stuff down. The alternative is going to be them editing their post and erasing it all anyway, then you just have a weird empty thread sitting around for no reason. Reduces clutter imo.

The down side is if it's an RP thread, I wouldn't be so keen on it because other people's content and story info is there, so if someone deletes the thread then that means other players who contributed to the RP are also losing content that they may value.

Please refer to the OP for the technical stipulations and limitations imposed by Enjin. This answers most of your questions, as well as highlights a few issues that surround users being able to delete their posts.
Posted Sep 1, 15 · OP
Empire
Coach wrote:

This was explained in the techincal issues as being impossible. It's forum wide, IC and OOC areas combined.
Posted Sep 1, 15
Neutral
Coach wrote:

This was explained in the techincal issues as being impossible. It's forum wide, IC and OOC areas combined.

Unless a Separate forum is created for IC and OOC, but that's really complicating the matter and taking up dearly needed modules.
Posted Sep 1, 15
Untagged users
Then, all of those things considered.... I don't see any problem with letting someone delete their post because it doesn't really adversely impact the website in anyway.

I'm all about freedom of choice yo. ;)
Posted Sep 1, 15
Developer
Donor
Neutral
I'm going to offer a slightly edited version of what I posted in the last thread: context is important.

Even if they can't delete entire threads, enabling this would allow users to delete individual posts. While moderators would have access to that history to see who had deleted something, other users would not. Once a post is deleted, there isn't any indication that there was ever a post at all. There might be a piece of an ongoing conversation missing, but no way to see that a post had been removed.

That's a problem, and yes, it has the potential for abuse.

I still think that people who want to remove their content should use the edit function to do so. That way, it's clear to everyone that you were involved, even if they can't see what that involvement was. It's an accountability issue as well as a matter of convenience and clarity.

Note that all users can clearly see that this post has been edited (as well as when it was edited). They may not be able to see what the edit is unless I differentiate, but they can see that I have changed the post. That's a good thing. It means it's possible for any user of this forum to see that I have gone back and changed what I said, and they can weigh that when reading this post and any responses.

Even if I cleared the post, the fact that I participated in this thread would still be visible, and it would be clear that I had removed my own content.

That wouldn't be the case with deletion, as I understand it. If you don't want others to see that you've participated in a thread, that's a strong indication that you should be more careful when choosing what threads to contribute to.
Posted Sep 1, 15 · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Untagged users
EDIT: Never mind!
Neutral
wrote:
I'm going to offer a slightly edited version of what I posted in the last thread: context is important.

Even if they can't delete entire threads, enabling this would allow users to delete individual posts. While moderators would have access to that history to see who had deleted something, other users would not. Once a post is deleted, there isn't any indication that there was ever a post at all. There might be a piece of an ongoing conversation missing, but no way to see that a post had been removed.

That's a problem, and yes, it has the potential for abuse.

Why is this a bad thing? I mean accountability is one thing, but if the post was removed before it could even read -- or was skipped altogether, there's no damage done -- if its read, posted on, and even quoted, then there's tangible proof, and even a history of what they said before. I really don't like jumping to the conclusion that someone editing or deleting their post is 'escaping accountability' when they're just taking back something they said. Mistakes are made!

I still think that people who want to remove their content should use the edit function to do so. That way, it's clear to everyone that you were involved, even if they can't see what that involvement was. It's an accountability issue as well as a matter of convenience and clarity.

And what's to say what they edited wasn't mundane? Assuming the worst doesn't help anyone regardless of whether they edit the post away or delete it.

Note that all users can clearly see that this post has been edited (as well as when it was edited). They may not be able to see what the edit is unless I differentiate, but they can see that I have changed the post. That's a good thing. It means it's possible for any user of this forum to see that I have gone back and changed what I said, and they can weigh that when reading this post and any responses.

If it lacks the content, its as good as deleted, and making conclusions based off their participation doesn't help the admins or the posters. I'll take Dandy's post above as an example. I can't tell if he said 'Hi mum' or 'YOU'RE A GERRAM MAMBY PAMPY TRALALALA VIVEK' before he edited it to NEVERMIND. There's no information there other than "Hey, Dandy posted something." Which is barely information at all. The users shouldn't be concerned about info that's there or not there -- that should be the Admin's domain -- it doesn't affect the flow of the conversation as it happens.

Even if I cleared the post, the fact that I participated in this thread would still be visible, and it would be clear that I had removed my own content.

But how you participated is a complete mystery. What if you were denouncing the topic, or dropping a /signed and then thought better of it? What if you were trying to mediate only to realize its pointless to do so? Participation isn't a bad intention correctly.

That wouldn't be the case with deletion, as I understand it. If you don't want others to see that you've participated in a thread, that's a strong indication that you should be more careful when choosing what threads to contribute to.

For the Moderation -- there is literally no difference in between the two, and they're the only ones who should be concerned with enforcing accountability. This is an open forum, why should the dissemination of opinions freely be a harmful thing that we should be concerned with at all?
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
If it lacks the content, its as good as deleted, and making conclusions based off their participation doesn't help the admins or the posters. I'll take Dandy's post above as an example. I can't tell if he said 'Hi mum' or 'YOU'RE A GERRAM MAMBY PAMPY TRALALALA VIVEK' before he edited it to NEVERMIND. There's no information there other than "Hey, Dandy posted something." Which is barely information at all. The users shouldn't be concerned about info that's there or not there -- that should be the Admin's domain -- it doesn't affect the flow of the conversation as it happens.

But it does, though. What if several people had responded to him before he chose to delete his post? It's much easier to follow a conversation when you know you might be missing part of it.
Posted Sep 1, 15
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices