Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1390]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 11

Resolved Self-Deletion of Posts/Thread Redux

91 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
In light of Gruuvan's clarifiction in the "[suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads" thread, with regards to how the poll question was originally proposed, this thread will represent a formal revision of the poll question to better define the topic: Should Users be Allowed to Delete their Own Threads and Posts?

Warning
Before you vote, I would like to make clear a few technical stipulations and limitations imposed by Enjin:

• Self-Deleted threads and posts are forum-wide, and cannot be regulated to specific forum boards or sub-forums.

• If the Original Poster deletes a thread that was replied to, only the first post will be deleted, and all post-replies will remain intact. Therefore, the actual thread will not be deleted, if it was replied to.

• If a post is edited or deleted, the action will be logged in the Forum Logs in Enjin's Administrative Dashboard (viewable only to Administrators and Moderators), but the content will be lost without the option for recovery. Content modification history is reserved for websites with Enjin's Ultimate Plan; EH Community has the Advanced Plan, and therefore cannot keep a detail record of content modifications.
Yes, Users should be able to delete their own posts.
38 votes
47.5%
Indifferent.
5 votes
6.3%
No, Users should not be able to delete their own posts.
37 votes
46.3%
Number of voters: 80
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
wrote:
wrote:
PS: I have been on forums for 20 years and never have I participated in one that allowed users to delete their own posts.

If you've never participated in swtor-rp, ebon-hawk.net, teso-rp or the official World of Warcraft forums, then you could be right. All of those allow you to delete your own posts within forums, even if they don't allow you to delete entire threads.

I must have forgotten some of those forums allowed you to delete your own posts. Particularly SWTOR-RP and Ebon-Hawk.net, where I never saw anyone delete their own post. World of Warcraft's official forums, however, I now remember, thanks for the memory jog.

People deleted their posts often, which added to confusion when things got heated and the Original Post would be deleted and you'd see people responding to something that wasn't there. It was like watching people participate in a group sponsored hallucination.
The Unbreakable Legacy
"I've had five years to get good and pissed off." - Mai Cash
Posted Sep 1, 15 · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Empire
wrote:
I must have forgotten some of those forums allowed you to delete your own posts. Particularly SWTOR-RP and Ebon-Hawk.net, where I never saw anyone delete their own post. World of Warcraft's official forums, however, I now remember, thanks for the memory jog.

People deleted their posts often, which added to confusion when things got heated and the Original Post would be deleted and you'd see people responding to something that wasn't there. It was like watching people participate in a group sponsored hallucination.

I think if anything these examples prove that it can work, at least on a theoretical level. I do not agree that people should be able to delete their own threads, but I've come around to the idea that deleting posts isn't that big of a deal. Plus, guildwars2roleplayers doesn't allow you to delete your own posts, and I disagree with anything that site does on principle.

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Neutral
wrote:
wrote:

I think if anything these examples prove that it can work, at least on a theoretical level. I do not agree that people should be able to delete their own threads, but I've come around to the idea that deleting posts isn't that big of a deal. Plus, guildwars2roleplayers doesn't allow you to delete your own posts, and I disagree with anything that site does on principle.

It can work, in theory, yes. But should it?
The Unbreakable Legacy
"I've had five years to get good and pissed off." - Mai Cash
Posted Sep 1, 15
Vivek x
Banned users
wrote:
What if you only agree that people should be able to delete posts, but not threads? The ability to delete threads removes OTHER people's ideas and creative input, not just yours, and opens itself up to larger abuses than the ability to delete just your own posts.

This was addressed in the OP:
wrote:

• If the Original Poster deletes a thread that was replied to, only the first post will be deleted, and all post-replies will remain intact.
Posted Sep 1, 15 · OP
Empire
wrote:
wrote:
What if you only agree that people should be able to delete posts, but not threads? The ability to delete threads removes OTHER people's ideas and creative input, not just yours, and opens itself up to larger abuses than the ability to delete just your own posts.

This was addressed in the OP:
wrote:

• If the Original Poster deletes a thread that was replied to, only the first post will be deleted, and all post-replies will remain intact.

Okay, my apologies. The questions as proposed were worded in a way that made me miss that. Technically, that doesn't mean they deleted the thread at all, just their post.

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Vivek x
Banned users
wrote:
Okay, my apologies. The questions as proposed were worded in a way that made me miss that. Technically, that doesn't mean they deleted the thread at all, just their post.

I make the distinction between thread and post because the function is different, even if the end result is the same; the exception being if the thread had no replies to begin with, then the thread would be deleted in its entirety.
Posted Sep 1, 15 · OP
Empire
wrote:
I make the distinction between thread and post because the function is different, even if the end result is the same; the exception being if the thread had no replies to begin with, then the thread would be deleted in its entirety.

Right, and I'm saying that the questionnaire doesn't make the distinction. Some of us believe that posts should be deleted but not threads. The way the answers are worded, it seems like someone voting would be advocating for both, despite you making the distinction in the supplementary information. I think if the answers were altered to remove references to deleting threads entirely, it would be implicitly understood that if a post with no replies is deleted, the thread will disappear.

Vivek x
Banned users
wrote:
Right, and I'm saying that the questionnaire doesn't make the distinction. Some of us believe that posts should be deleted but not threads. The way the answers are worded, it seems like someone voting would be advocating for both, despite you making the distinction in the supplementary information.

That information is provided in the OP, and will proceed the poll questions; the poll questions were listed at Beltane's request.
Posted Sep 1, 15 · OP
Vivek x
Banned users
A poll has been added to the OP. Voting will close after seven days.
Posted Sep 1, 15 · OP
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices