Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 11

Resolved Self-Deletion of Posts/Thread Redux

91 replies
Vivek x
Banned users
In light of Gruuvan's clarifiction in the "[suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads" thread, with regards to how the poll question was originally proposed, this thread will represent a formal revision of the poll question to better define the topic: Should Users be Allowed to Delete their Own Threads and Posts?

Warning
Before you vote, I would like to make clear a few technical stipulations and limitations imposed by Enjin:

• Self-Deleted threads and posts are forum-wide, and cannot be regulated to specific forum boards or sub-forums.

• If the Original Poster deletes a thread that was replied to, only the first post will be deleted, and all post-replies will remain intact. Therefore, the actual thread will not be deleted, if it was replied to.

• If a post is edited or deleted, the action will be logged in the Forum Logs in Enjin's Administrative Dashboard (viewable only to Administrators and Moderators), but the content will be lost without the option for recovery. Content modification history is reserved for websites with Enjin's Ultimate Plan; EH Community has the Advanced Plan, and therefore cannot keep a detail record of content modifications.
Yes, Users should be able to delete their own posts.
38 votes
47.5%
Indifferent.
5 votes
6.3%
No, Users should not be able to delete their own posts.
37 votes
46.3%
Number of voters: 80
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
On a personal note, I would like to point out that we do not allow (by default) users to delete their own threads or posts purely for accountability reasons. Although users are not held up to the same expectations as Administrators or Moderators, as defined by our Forum Polices and the Forum Management Log, being able to see that posts were modified helps us tremendously to moderate social-based issues. If all evidence of a potentially violent or ill-willed post was erased, the Moderator team would be unable to respond accurately or appropriately; at least not without making assumptions that would most definitely be frowned upon.

Furthermore, I think the concepts of accountability and transparency amongst each other, as a community, is just as paramount to everyone who desires the same, or even more so, of this website's Moderation team. It may not be a perfect system, but I like to believe the notion of physical evidence keeps unwanted behavior and comments in check, relatively speaking.

I recognize this is an inconvenience for threads posted to the Artist's Corner, Journals and Short Stories, Character Dossiers, or threads that are primarily posted to and maintained by a single person, or even the occasional double post, but I would hope the potential for abuse outweighs the inconvenience. To that end, I cannot stress enough that the Moderating Team is always happy to serve you guys, and assist in helping each and every one of you maintain threads according to your specifications. You need only to contact us by PM or use the Report Function to draw our attention to specific threads/posts.
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
I personally don't see the need to delete threads, outside of those points you mentioned in the case of someone wishing for their personal thread containing their personal content. I understand that if it's a thread other people have replied to that it wouldn't destroy the other replies, but it does run the risk of destroying the context (another thing I'm aware of that could potentially be achieved by editting a post).

People will post things that others don't like, or that doesn't get the response they want. That will happen. To give them the power to delete it because of a response just doesn't necessarily strike me as a 'good' thing. A community is its disagreements just as much as it is its agreements during discussion. So long as it remains a discussion, and that there isn't anything completely offensive, I feel that a post/thread should remain intact, simply because it acts as a certain part of history, even if it's a less than pleasant one. If things steer out of control, I feel the mods have done a pretty good job of locking things down before they go on for too long.

As Vivek has said, they're also more than willing to help with deleting or locking threads that folks want locked. Much as some people may disagree with the mods, I believe that's a good enough system in place to keep things in line with what folks could want. You have the ability to do away with mistakes you've made with your personal threads. It's there. There's not much of a reason to hand out tools with potential abuse.

My two cents.

Edit: Originally had "...or that doesn't get the response."
Posted Aug 31, 15 · Last edited Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
The other poll had 35 yes and 33 no at the time of closing.

I hope if this thread has a different result (i.e. the no vote wins) that there's a third poll to guarantee the most fair result. I feel like there's a lot of potential for people to vote stack to get the result they want here.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
I believe in self-government in forum behavior, and trying to make a post that leaves a good taste in my mouth. Now, I can't control the reactions of other people when they read a post that I have crafted specifically in an attempt to be equilateral and fair without pointing fingers, and while I can say, "That's not my fault!" ... It sort of is.

Every time you open your mouth, or put something in a public forum, you're going to get a reaction, and sometimes that reaction is not going to be positive. That's okay. You deal with that by carefully wording posts and sentences without intent to offend (if that's your goal), and then sit back for responses to come in.

That being said, there are some people in the world who don't take into account the emotional reaction of other people, and fire off a response with 1) Intent to offend, 2) No care as to how it makes anyone feel, 3) Etc. As someone posting on the forums I can either take this and be offended, and I have in the past, reacting poorly and becoming angry and jumping in the flame war, or I can just step back, turn around, and walk away. Log on to SWTOR for a bit, do some dailies, talk to some sympathetic friends who get where I'm coming from.

These people will always be there. It may not always be the same person, but you don't have to give them the reaction that they either want or don't care about and actually find funny.

I think by allowing deletion of threads and posts, the forum doesn't teach this kind of self-policing and guarding against certain personalities that not only exist online, but offline. I believe I have grown from having weathered these battles and learning how to conduct myself. It would be a disservice to allow people to run and hide rather than fight the battle themselves.

PS: I have been on forums for 20 years and never have I participated in one that allowed users to delete their own posts.
The Unbreakable Legacy
"I've had five years to get good and pissed off." - Mai Cash
Posted Aug 31, 15 · Last edited Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
wrote:
I hope if this thread has a different result (i.e. the no vote wins) that there's a third poll to guarantee the most fair result. I feel like there's a lot of potential for people to vote stack to get the result they want here.

Once the 24-hour lock out has been lifted, the poll questions will be as follows:

1. Yes, allow users to delete their own threads and posts.
2. Indifferent.
3. No, do not allow users to delete their own threads and posts.

I would like to reiterate that thread and post deletion is forum-wide, and that there is no option to enable those permissions for specific forum boards.

In regards to vote stacking, there is no way to track who voted, who voted for what, or why they voted. So the potential is definitely there, and as disappointing as it may be for users to participate with that mindset, I can only encourage people to think critically about the topic at hand. Whether you are in favor of or against users being able to delete their own posts, it is important to recognize and acknowledge these settings are forum-wide, and can have dramatic affects on everyone who uses these forums; not just yourself or a small group of people.
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Von
Donor
Empire
wrote:

A third poll would be a waste of time.

If the previous poll was asked correctly there wouldn't even have been the need for this one.
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
wrote:

A third poll would be a waste of time.

If the previous poll was asked correctly there wouldn't even have been the need for this one.

I really can't apologize enough for inadvertently misleading some of you with what turned out to be a very trickily worded question. Hopefully this one can get to the meat of the issue with it's plain wording! Sorry, again.
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
PS: I have been on forums for 20 years and never have I participated in one that allowed users to delete their own posts.

If you've never participated in swtor-rp, ebon-hawk.net, teso-rp or the official World of Warcraft forums, then you could be right. All of those allow you to delete your own posts within forums, even if they don't allow you to delete entire threads.

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Posted Sep 1, 15 · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
1. Yes, allow users to delete their own threads and posts.
2. Indifferent.
3. No, do not allow users to delete their own threads and posts.

What if you only agree that people should be able to delete posts, but not threads? The ability to delete threads removes OTHER people's ideas and creative input, not just yours, and opens itself up to larger abuses than the ability to delete just your own posts.

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Posted Sep 1, 15 · Last edited Sep 1, 15
Page
of 11
NoticeNotices