Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1333]
Sun at 1:12
A bounty hunter in armor of vaguely-Mandalorian style has been spotted shopping on the Promenade. He appears to be looking for infant-sized clothes. (Eksa [alt code 0228 on the "a"] Bendak, Empire, Nar Shaddaa instance 3, coordinates X -1083 Y -712)
Sun at 2:45
The hunter has made his purchases and departed.
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 6

Resolved [Suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads.

47 replies
Empire
Title more or less says what the suggestion is. People should be able to delete their own threads. I searched and couldn't find this suggested before.

So, the question is: Can you handle deleting your own threads responsibly and when appropriate?
Yes.
36 votes
52.2%
No.
33 votes
47.8%
Number of voters: 69
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 30, 15 · OP
Empire
More letter v. spirit arguments.

If the intent was sincere, the question should have been written in a sincere manner. It poisons the argument to write it in a sarcastic manner. Am I a big boy who is responsible enough to delete my posts? Sure. Is it relevant to the question on if people should have the ability to remove their own posts? I don't think so. Ultimately, the way the question is presented is meaningless to the topic presented.

Others have expressed concern with this poll. I'm not the only one. I may be the only page 3er to do so, but it hasn't been three pages of support and knee slapping sarcastic humor.
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
So much panty-twisting over what is essentially -not- an issue. Admin Designated Users have the ultimate say in what's permanently removed from the forums regardless of the user's ability to manage their own posts. If the poster deletes a post OR a thread regardless of the circumstances, the Admins and Moderators will still be able to see the post.

So if someone goes and rains all over your parade with a sarcastic post of meteoric proportions, and then decides to delete it, the admins and the mods will still see that post, and still be able to act upon it.

The real issue here for me is:

"Is it too much of an inconvience for the mods to delete posts for you."

And the answer is yes, if I double post I shouldn't have to go bother anyone about cleaning it up. Its especially frustrating with the My Office Sub-forum and how I can't delete threads I've worked on and clean the page out, and I've got ALOT of abandoned projects in there.

To answer the concerns:

No, someone deleting their post or thread is not going to censor your opposition to them.

No, regular users don't have the ability to permanent delete anything in an Enjin Forum regardless of the permissions (unless they've been given an Admin designation, which defeats the purpose of them being Regular Users).

Yes, keeping our own posts tidy and neat and keeping the forums from getting cluttered should be partly our responsibility.
Spoiler: Generalized Rant, Anger within, Do not read if Weak-willed, Also, please do not address this in the discussion, it has bearing on the topic at hand.Show
Posted Aug 31, 15 · Last edited Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Okay, I suppose the post could have been worded in a slightly different way, but it's quite obvious - especially with Gruuvan's subsequent clarification and apology - that this was not intended to demean or offend anyone. It's a mere suggestion, one intended to spur discussion, not cause grief. Obviously there's some disagreement on that particular subject - honestly, it should have been expected - but we can speak our minds without the overtly vitriolic exchanges or bandwagoning for the mere sake of it. Please play nice.

Now, it's my personal opinion that each user should be the master of his or her own content, however, I also can see the potential for abuse by enabling certain forum abilities. This discussion began by pointing out that content (i.e. topics, discussions) ownership enters a bit of a gray area once more than one individual partakes; I very much agree, that once you've posted something, and others have begun to reply in kind, you've surrendered the ability to wipe that discussion from existence, as that discussion's ownership has transferred from the individual, to the group. Giving users - outside of the administration and moderator teams - that power, despite some of the website settings... Frankly, I see benefits from a maintenance standpoint, but really not much beyond that.

I'm not saying I don't trust you all - I honestly think (and hope) I can trust a fair number of the users on this site, to act as responsible individuals, if not adults - but the fact of the matter is, under certain circumstances, these powers could very easily be taken advantage of. I want to avoid that, thus my stance is that we leave such things to the people with the orange text in their names. Don't take this as me attempting to hoard power, because it isn't (I honestly could care less). We may be volunteers, we may have our own things to do during the day that have absolutely nothing to do with this website - let alone this game - but don't think of it as an inconvenience to shoot us a message, asking for assistance with something; be it looking for advice/feedback on how to proceed with a character/plot/etc., or something as simple as asking us to lock/delete/fix a post or topic. It really is not that big of a deal, even if we can't get to it right away.

Bottom line: We're here to help, even if some people seem to forget that from time to time. Now, take this as you will, but these are just my two cents on the matter.
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
wrote:
Can you handle deleting your own threads responsibly and when appropriate?

I could. Other people couldn't. We have admins for a reason, they do there job well. In the past, I've asked moderators to lock a thread of mine because it developed too much drama, so I could repost it with edits. I consciously chose not to ask for it to be deleted for the sake of transparency. This request was accommodated in about ten minutes.

To Sirenis , Sinclair , Vivek x , Krekldev , Kepal and any moderators I have forgotten/don't have friended... Thank you for being awesome. As long as you keep doing what you're doing, there is absolutely no reason why we should have to self-moderate.

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
I'd like to be able to delete my own threads that people use as a forum to pursue their aggression and bias toward me, personally. When it becomes a matter of commenting for the sake of being a dick and not actually contributing or trying to be helpful, the only reason to keep it is for the lols so someone can show off their offensive comments.
a8b1cffe64a362ac.png
Posted Aug 31, 15
Empire
wrote:
I'd like to be able to delete my own threads that people use as a forum to pursue their aggression and bias toward me, personally. When it becomes a matter of commenting for the sake of being a dick and not actually contributing or trying to be helpful, the only reason to keep it is for the lols so someone can show off their offensive comments.

This actually happens? In that case, just ask the mods to delete your posts, I'm sure they'll accommodate you.

“We have only one story. All novels, all poetry, are built on the never-ending contest in ourselves of good and evil. And it occurs to me that evil must constantly respawn, while good, while virtue, is immortal. Vice has always a new fresh young face, while virtue is venerable as nothing else in the world is." -- John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Posted Aug 31, 15
Donor
Empire
I would like for people to have the ability to delete their posts.

Forbidding people from deleting posts because of a concern about increasing the drama level in a thread is trying to treat the symptom rather than the cause. Sure, maybe someone posts something horribly offensive, a few people reply, and then they backpedal and delete the post. How is that any different than someone editing their post to make it say "content removed"? You have the same amount of post content stored in the moderator log (none), since you can't see the initial content of a post after an edit or a delete.

So, considering that deleting content and deleting the post itself are the same in regards to drama and digital-paper-trail, there's not really an issue here. Allowing deletions has the benefit letting people to do legitimate deletions (for thread cleanup) without have to pester the moderators.

Thank you for the examples/research, Gruuvan. I think you've done a good job of showing that editing a post and deleting it have essentially the same effect, save for the ability to clean up the appearance of a thread.
"Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned."
Portfolio || DeviantArt
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Empire
Hmmm... might be able to see edit history if you have it set up. I will investigate.

edit: Only the Ultimate level plan allows for the viewing of edit history. This forum (and SyntheTek's, where I tested) are just Advanced level plans, so admins are not able to see the edit history on a post. Which means.. clearing the content from your post is the same as deleting.
"Hell hath no fury like the vast robot armies of a woman scorned."
Portfolio || DeviantArt
Empire
I keep seeing references to deleting whole threads. I know some people asked for that, but others are acting as if allowing users to delete their original posts in threads would delete the entire thread. Not true--if you remove the original post the rest of the thread stays. So even with this option turned on, nobody can delete your posts but you.

Seems an awful lot like some of the opposition wants to forbid this so users are "punished" by having posts publicly displayed forever and that is not conducive to a drama-free, healthy community. If someone is unhappy with the level of drama or personal attacks directed their way, they should have the right to remove the source of those attacks.
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices