Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1391]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 6

Resolved [Suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads.

47 replies
Empire
Title more or less says what the suggestion is. People should be able to delete their own threads. I searched and couldn't find this suggested before.

So, the question is: Can you handle deleting your own threads responsibly and when appropriate?
Yes.
36 votes
52.2%
No.
33 votes
47.8%
Number of voters: 69
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 30, 15 · OP
Developer
Donor
Neutral
wrote:
No, individual forums can't have their Right to Delete setting changed, although individual forums can have Right to Lock set for thread-authors.

This setting is handled for an entire forum module. However, it's turned off by default in Enjin's forum-module settings:

And for good reason. Maybe allowing users to lock their own threads in the specific forums that Shehish mentioned would be a good compromise.
Posted Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Dakhath
The option in question, "Users cannot delete their own threads and posts" is off by default -- by default, you can delete your own threads and posts.

For what it's worth, and why I seriously question the purpose of this setting, Enjin's Delete system won't allow you to take out a whole thread once someone's replied to it. If a thread gets even a single reply, you can only delete your post as the first one -- all replies stay in place. Only Administrators can delete the entire thread at that point, using the Mod bar.

Given this is the case, why can't users delete their thread if no one has posted, or delete their own post at will? As it stands, they could just as easily edit the post to be something offensive as remove it.

http://imperialremnant.enjin.com/index/m/32473096/viewthread/22602197-please-leave-feedback-about-our-new-website

See this thread where I've deleted the first post in my forum of the default "Enjin feedback" post after someone replied to it.
Posted Aug 30, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
Lord Adsum I wasn't aware that setting would preserve threads after someone posted in it, as there's nothing in the setting or the OP to indicate that's the case. That does address my biggest concern with the idea, but it still presents problems with accountability. I see no indication in the thread you linked that a post was deleted, and as far as I know, once a post is deleted on Enjin, it's just gone. Moderators don't have access to it at that point. That's a problem.

What's to stop someone from starting crap and then deleting their post? Sure, it's still clear who started the thread, but if no one quoted the post, I can see how that might be misused. It's less clear who might have made a post in the middle of the thread.

Also... if it doesn't get rid of the whole thread, what's the point? I can't imagine that threads would need to be deleted very often, if the Forum Management Log is anything to go on.

Still against the idea, but less adamantly than before.
Posted Aug 31, 15 · Last edited Aug 31, 15
Empire
Dakhath Actually, in the Forum Settings section that any of the moderators will have access to, there's a full moderation log:

CuV0xt1.png

If problems are caused, the moderators more than know about it.
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP · Last edited Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
Lord Adsum
Does that show the content of the posts? Because everything I've found on the support forums says that it isn't possible to recover or restore deleted posts/threads:

http://www.enjin.com/forums/m/10826/viewthread/7042086-possible-to-recover-deleted-thread

http://www.enjin.com/forums/m/10826/viewthread/9889798-recover-deleted-posts

http://www.enjin.com/forums/m/10826/viewthread/7042086-possible-to-recover-deleted-thread
Posted Aug 31, 15 · Last edited Aug 31, 15
Empire
No, it doesn't. As it stands, if you edit the content of the post, the log won't save it now anyway. If someone says something offensive and edits the contents, there's no way to prove what it said -- and quotes shouldn't be misconstrued as being a genuine quote like Twitter or Facebook API will provide.
wrote:
The Emperor did nothing wrong.
Posted Aug 31, 15 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Developer
Donor
Neutral
I'm aware that they don't verify quotes at all.

I do still think that users - and not just moderators - should be able to see that there was a post there from someone. I have nothing against people removing their own content, but I do think it should be done in a way that's obvious. If someone edits out their post, you still have the empty post to indicate that you're missing a piece of the conversation.
Posted Aug 31, 15
Empire
I dunno. I've been involved in, and witnessed, plenty of really hostile drama before that could benefit from being deleted.

I don't really see a reason not to allow the option. I think if someone started chronically starting shit and deleting threads it would be grounds for banning, but if a thread gets out of hand and the OP deletes it, I don't really have a problem with it.

I find it way more irksome when mods abuse their power to delete entire threads and posts just because they're on a power trip. I've had that happen on two forums (not this one) lately, go me!
wraithssig_zps16fa660e.png
Posted Aug 31, 15
Neutral
Yeah. I really would like the option to be able to delete my own THREADS, not posts, persay. I have a lot of broken links in my art thread and it is SUPER tedious to go back and delete each individual post. I'd like to just be able to delete/remake, y'know, without having to wait on a Mod.
Posted Aug 31, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices