Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1391]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 6

Resolved [Suggestion] Allow the self-deletion of threads.

47 replies
Empire
Title more or less says what the suggestion is. People should be able to delete their own threads. I searched and couldn't find this suggested before.

So, the question is: Can you handle deleting your own threads responsibly and when appropriate?
Yes.
36 votes
52.2%
No.
33 votes
47.8%
Number of voters: 69
Poll is closed
Posted Aug 30, 15 · OP
Developer
Donor
Neutral
I think the question is phrased in a way that's supposed to get the outcome you want.

That said, while I have no problem with people removing their own content, this presents another problem. Once other people post in your thread, I don't think you should have the right to delete it anymore. It's not (and shouldn't be) up to you to delete someone else's posts, even if you don't happen to like them or where the discussion went.

If you want to remove your own content, edit it out. You can already do that.

Edit: Most forums don't allow users to delete their own threads, by the way. There are good reasons for this. As it stands, I'm pretty sure you can already ask moderators here to close or remove threads that you accidentally posted in the wrong place or something, and that's the only circumstance (barring threads that are spam or something like that) where a thread should be deleted.
Posted Aug 30, 15 · Last edited Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Contractor's Board
Donor
Neutral
In agreement with Dakhath, allowing people to handle their own deletions leads to some very annoying and tricky situations, as well as making the actual moderations job harder.
Posted Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
Perhaps if it was an option limited to certain sub category threads like character dossiers or Artist corner... where you specifically are advertising yourself and aren't quite meant for discussion.
Posted Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Empire
Dakhath brings up a good point. If we shifted permissions to allow the Original Poster to delete the entire thread as they will, that inadvertently allows them to control the comments, thoughts, and writings of other individuals that replied.

It is understandable that one would want to be able to have control over specific threads that one created. Example being a Role play journal thread in which only the Original poster posts. With that being said, Shehish, we will look into it and see if it is something doable. But to reiterate, the point that Dakhath made is a very strong one for most other threads, and needs to be carefully considered.
Posted Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Donor
Empire
I would vote for this if it was posts perhaps rather than entire threads.

Posted Aug 30, 15
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
There's a setting if I remember right, that allows the user to 'delete' or hide the posts and threads, the appropriately permissioned tagged users would still be able to see all the posts, and forcefully restory or delete them as they see they fit. I think that's a suitable middle ground here.
Posted Aug 30, 15
wrote:
Perhaps if it was an option limited to certain sub category threads like character dossiers or Artist corner... where you specifically are advertising yourself and aren't quite meant for discussion.

^ This, so you know - character profiles, artist corner, the journals. Things that are created by the thread owner and maintained usually by them without the intent of discussion.
Posted Aug 30, 15
Developer
Donor
Neutral
wrote:

I'm pretty sure Enjin doesn't allow anything like this (but I could be wrong). I don't imagine that any of the staff would have a problem with deleting a thread in those sections if you asked, though.
Posted Aug 30, 15
Empire
No, individual forums can't have their Right to Delete setting changed, although individual forums can have Right to Lock set for thread-authors.

This setting is handled for an entire forum module. However, it's turned off by default in Enjin's forum-module settings:

CLAczGG.png
Posted Aug 30, 15 · OP
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices