Star Forge
Upcoming Events
HoloNet Feed
Drawing Board Feed
Latest Threads
Dulfy RSS
Donations
Container minimized. Expand
HoloTracker: Include (1) Character's In-Game Name, (2) Faction, and (3) Location
HoloTracker [1387]
You do not have access to chat.
Welcome to HoloTracker

Working...

Page
of 20

The Ebon Hawk Contractor's Board Discussion

198 replies
Empire
"Lone Bounty Hunters gain no HP bonus if they choose to combat both Marks and rival Bounty Hunters in the same encounter (Unless the Mark has KA's present; HP is then scaled against the Mark's crew accordingly)."

This rule is quite frankly bullshit given situations I have already seen multiple times all this does is force people to team up or get ganged up on by both the mark and the additional hunters. If it's a full on free for all sure, but when you're engaging a mark and a team of 3 hunters shows up and decides they want to take you out too that is not fucking cool that you dont get any HP boost to counter that. You have taken a situation that is already unfair by giving the person who is solo less attacks per round and made it even less fair. This is just looks like the system is not at all designed to be fair, but to almost FORCE people to RP a certian way and hunt in groups if they want any chance of actually bringing in a mark, since everyone else is running around in groups of 3. I have already personally seen examples of people gaming the system by having hunters team up with marks and then end the fight as soon as the rival hunters were down.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted May 5, 16 · Last edited May 5, 16
Contractor's Board
Donor
Empire
Altheasha the Everspawning wrote:
"Lone Bounty Hunters gain no HP bonus if they choose to combat both Marks and rival Bounty Hunters in the same encounter (Unless the Mark has KA's present; HP is then scaled against the Mark's crew accordingly)."

This rule is quite frankly bullshit given situations I have already seen multiple times all this does is force people to team up or get ganged up on by both the mark and the additional hunters. If it's a full on free for all sure, but when you're engaging a mark and a team of 3 hunters shows up and decides they want to take you out too that is not fucking cool that you dont get any HP boost to counter that. You have taken a situation that is already unfair by giving the person who is solo less attacks per round and made it even less fair. This is just looks like the system is not at all designed to be fair, but to almost FORCE people to RP a certian way and hunt in groups if they want any chance of actually bringing in a mark, since everyone else is running around in groups of 3. I have already personally seen examples of people gaming the system by having hunters team up with marks and then end the fight as soon as the rival hunters were down.

And your solution for this? If any?
Posted May 5, 16 · OP
Empire
I would say either A) they need some form of HP boost even if its say half the normal boost say 1 hp instead of 2, or B) perhaps limit the amount of people that can be on a team of hunters based on the mark's notoriety. So for example say the first time a mark shows up you can only have one other person on your team, if the mark escapes then you can have 2 etc to give solo hunters and new hunters who dont have tons of friends and allies to hunt with a chance to go after bounties without constantly feeling like they will have to fight a group of hunters too.

But if you look at the current system as it is from and outside view, if I'm brand new to bounty hunting and want to start hunting, I show up to fight a mark and then a group of 3 hunters shows up too and decides I'm competition. I've now got 4 people attacking me and only have base HPs, that's enough people attacking me to potentially knock me out of the fight before I even get a turn to make an action if I end up being lowest in intiative. Its not very encouraging for new people to get involved when the odds are stacked heavily against them.

It's my understanding that the point of the rules is to make the fights fair for everyone, if that is the case telling one person that they have to take their 4 hps and 1 attack per turn and fight a group of 3 with 12 hps and 3 attacks per turn + the mark with their 10hps and 1 attack per round is not really promoting that. The current rules heavily favor grouping up and give nothing at all to hunters who don't group up to balance the conflicts that happen with multiple hunters involved. Even the way perks work favors grouping over solo hunting, 2 T2 hunters in a group can have the same perks as a T3 hunter.
Vph71bq.gif
Posted May 5, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Contractor's Board
Donor
Neutral
Deployment of cluster warhead with suggestion payload authorized.

Tracking and Hunting

At the moment, the 'offical' method according to the board is to drive around and hope you run across them. The 'unoffical' method is not easily known to knew folks, but is basically emoting via whisper what you do to look for information and then rolling. Based on the success of the roll, you get either a clue or a location straight up back.

This pretty much should be adopted as the offical set up, perhaps with some refining and streamlining though it doesn't quite need it. One idea would be having a set amount of chances to obtain clues to where the mark might be, since this also allows additional perks in this area.

An example: By standard, a hunter has three chances to get a clue via 'tracking' rolls. If they are a tier 3, they could take perks such as a Hunter Seeker to provide them a modifier to their roll or 'Reputation' which allows them an additional chance at getting a clue.

To counter, Marks could get something like 'Blending in' which could reduce the amount of clues they have to provide down to two or 'loose lips sink ships' where they bribe locals and get a modifier to their rolls.

An Additional perk idea is a tracker which one could place on the mark during a fight, which should they defeat the hunter/escape, would allow the hunter to find them easily after the defeat timer is up. This, of course, also allows the mark to maybe find it and turn it against the hunter...

Hunter Tiers and Groups

First suggestion here is redoing how tiers are gained based upon completing contracts - creating a risk and reward system to help balance out those working in groups and those going solo, so the advantage is not purely in the group favour.

Change how you advance tiers to a 'points' system. In a lore stance, this could borrow from somewhere else as a show of reputation - say, John Wick and the gold coins. Lets say to reach Tier 2, you must aquire 30 gold coins. Now before anyone goes 'But thats way more than five completed contracts!' - there is a method to this madness.

A solo hunter upon completion of a single mark bounty earns six of these coins.
A group of two hunters doing the same bounty earn three each.
A group of three would thus only earn two each.

And thus you have a way to make going solo more risky yet rewarding, both mechanically and IC wise - while the advantages of groups being safe in numbers is kept while making a reputation is slower, as you are a group.

Additional coins could be earned for beating defenders as well, so if a group of three beat a group of three - they could earn four each, an extra coin for each defender. This value could be kept the same or increased if the odds are stacked against the hunter - A single hunter beating three people could earn a full ten coins, perhaps. The main purpose of all this is to create a con to being in a group, because as of right now there really isn't any con to just ganging up on everyone beyond the limit.

It could also be used to create a currency for those in the trade, in a similiar style to John Wick, where the coins became a way to earn services and tools to help you do your job. And with the main way to earn them being completion of bounties or aiding other hunters perhaps - the job pays for itself. Want another hunter to help? Offer them a few gold coins for their assistance. Need intel on a new bounty? Information brokers could now have a way to offer their services!

Using the coins would not drop you down a tier if you went under the requirement. But perhaps multiple defeats or escaped marks might, as it would appear as if the hunter is rusty or losing their touch?

Another suggestion I'd like to offer is upping the number of people allowed in a group to four on each side. From personal experience, this is the highest number on each side that retains a fairly quick fight without being too bloated by people, plus it also helps against that entire issue of 'OOC effecting IC because I would defend this person but I can't!' - another way to help that would be if there are defenders for a mark, the mark doesn't fight straight away and the defenders must be defeated. Sort of like how an escape roll can go for marks as it is where the defenders get left behind to fight on.

One of the main reasons I wish to suggest this is to help handle bounty hunter groups a tad - Only Tier one can go in a group of four. If the group has a single Tier 2, only a max of three hunters is allowed. At tier 3, only two can work together. This could be for 'Reputation' reasons IC, as throughout the Star wars comics of past, it was unusual for most infamous hunters to partner up with even just one other hunter, let alone a group. A perk, perhaps, could be taken to allow another if they so wished.

For marks - A very simple method of countering large groups can be done. Large groups are easier to track. In a group of four? Hunters will get quite the positive modifier to their tracking rolls as you would be relatively easy to find, even with perks. If you're trying to hide, going around with a whole bunch of people isn't always the best option. Someone always notices...

Combat and the dice rolls

Straight off, my first suggestion is again about the massive cons of going solo. A solo person vs three people, unless they're the luckiest SOB alive, will lose. Three attacks vs one. No HP increase can really aid against those kinda odds. This is why I'd like to suggest that when a person, hunter or mark, is fighting more than two people - they earn the ability to attack two people at once. This would drastically increase not only their chances but is a better offset than just stacking HP without instantly making it a sure thing. When this is allowed would be need to defined exactly, but I think the general rule of thumb should be anything like 1vs3 or 1vs4 is where it should really apply.

A second suggestion is a change to criticals both for offense and defense. Instead of Critical attacks doing 2 damage and critical defences doing... well, nothing, they could both a bit more interesting.

A attack 20 shouldn't automatically do 2 damage, but instead grant a secondary action - either you can attack again (same or another target) and roll (Perhaps the target gets a -2 modifier to their def?) or another action, such as taking cover to up their defences?

A defence 20 should do something if an attack 20 does. I suggest either allowing a counter attack or providing a defensive boost to an ally (Smoke grenades, deployable shields, etc).

While in writing this may sound like it would draw combat out, I've used these in my own things and I honestly feel they make things go faster and a little more smoothly.

The End!

THIS IS ALL BUT SUGGESTIONS, BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. I REALISE A LOT OF THIS MIGHT SEEM COMPLICATED AS FUCK BUT I FELT IT ADDRESSED A FEW OF THE ISSUES PRESENT WITH THE CURRENT SYSTEM.

And honestly, the best way to see if something works is to see if it even floats first.

So, yeah. Discuss away?

There was also a lot more but I forgot about this a few weeks about and lost most of the ideas I had... soooo better late than never?
Posted Jun 14, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Vivek x
Banned users
I'm tipsy at the moment, but I would like to say that the 'gold coin' idea has for a lot of flexibility in both RP opportunities and balance! I'll-uh-elaborate when I'm not drinking wine :d
Posted Jun 14, 16
Republic
For whatever it is worth my saying, since I handed over my baby long ago: I tend to find that layers of systemic intricacy tend to compound potential misconduct or communication problems. I know RP has shift from the glory days but I definitely enjoy the notion of having to find a damn target. The more you complicate this process, the more you begin to alter what the board was meant to facilitate in the first place.
Posted Jun 15, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Contractor's Board
Donor
Empire
Taakur'kad has crawled his way up and reached Tier 3!

D75Q9289-1024x682.jpg
2624936.jpg
Forum Sig by Lesatho
Texal Legacy Tumblr
Posted Aug 19, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Neutral
such crawl
1461099086_12B8v3A.png

Sig courtesy of Dorito!
Posted Aug 19, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Contractor's Board
Donor
Empire
Ritalya Yarrick has reached Tier 3!
tumblr_mpa1wt3uNr1qm9fxho1_500.gif

With so many infamous hunters making names for themselves, let's see how well they can stand out on their own.
2624936.jpg
Forum Sig by Lesatho
Texal Legacy Tumblr
Posted Aug 25, 16 · OP
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Republic
Often times, you can work with the person hosting the contract and whisper them for hints or information, instead of running around trying to find them at random. Talk to the person hosting the contract. Communication is always key with these things. More often then not, you will find that the host is more than willing to work with the hunters to some degree!
Posted Sep 5, 16
Jawa-Appro...
List
Undo
Page
of 20
NoticeNotices